Executive Director – West Valley-Mission Federation Of Teachers, Aft 6554 : California
West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers, AFT/CFT Local 6554
Based in Silicon Valley, CA
The West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers, AFT 6554, is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director. WVMFT, AFT 6554 represents over 700 teachers in the two-college West Valley-Mission Community College District. West Valley College is located in Saratoga, CA, and Mission College is located in Santa Clara, CA. We are newly affiliated CFT union that is growing in strength and experience.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, labor law, or related field. Years of experience in labor organizing and strategic campaigns, contract negotiations, and representation may substitute for the educational requirement.
- Five years of experience in labor organizing and strategic campaigns, contract negotiations, and union member representation.
- Working knowledge of California community colleges organizational structures and policies;
- Demonstrated ability to accurately and coherently compose correspondence, charges, grievances, memos, and bargaining language;
- Ability to demonstrate discretion in handling sensitive information;
- Ability to analyze, make decisions, render judgments, make adjustments and take appropriate action under pressure;
- Ability to work both independently and with a team including a variety of members, staff and elected member representatives and officers;
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with a wide variety of people;
- Ability to handle a high pressure, fast-paced environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Remain current with all appropriate state laws and administrative rules and regulations that impact the operations and responsibilities of the Federation, California Education Code, PERB decisions, EERA regulations, etc.
- Promote the purposes of WVMFT, AFT 6554 as stated in its governing documents and policies;
- Troubleshoot, brainstorm and assist WVMFT, AFT 6554 in day-to-day activities;
- Together with the WVMFT, AFT 6554 union leadership, participate in strategic planning for both short-term and long-term organizational goals;
- Coordinate and/or assist the local in organizing activities and campaigns as directed by the President and Executive Board;
- Attend monthly Contract Administration meetings with the District, acting on behalf of the union as directed by the President and Executive Board;
- Attend Executive Board, Steward Council, and South Bay Labor Council (SBLC) meetings;
- Attend District and college meetings with the WVMFT, AFT 6554 leadership as directed by the President and/or Executive Board;
- Coordinate the design and conducting contract surveys with the Bargaining Committee;
- Write contract language in preparation for negotiations together with the Negotiation Team;
- Negotiate collective bargaining contracts using traditional and non-traditional formats and models as a member or the Negotiation Team or as Chief Negotiator;
- Analyze budgets (with some assistance from the CFT Research Department);
- Assist WVMFT, AFT 6554 in filing grievances and unfair labor practice charges, represent members at meetings with supervisors and in investigatory interviews, with assistance from legal counsel as necessary;
- Advise the local on grievances, arbitration, negotiations, budgets and concerted activities;
- Assist the local in compliance with national and state affiliate constitutional obligations;
- Attend conferences, conventions, and trainings as directed by the President and the WVMFT, AFT 6554 Executive Board;
- Assist in get-out-the vote and related political activities including WVMFT, AFT 6554 COPE membership campaigns;
- Coordinate and/or assist with campaigns and other efforts within the labor movement;
- Work with the WVMFT, AFT 6554 President, the Executive Board, and the Steward Council in the development of leaders and leadership skills throughout the union;
- Be present and available to members at both campuses in an equitable manner.
Salary & Benefits:
Starting salary is commensurate with experience and education. Annual gross salary range is based on the full-time faculty salary schedule. Medical, dental and vision benefits will be based on the CFT benefit plans. The position includes sick leave and vacation.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position(s), applicants must submit a résumé, letter of interest, and at least three (3) professional references by clicking on the link provided below:
Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity – All are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com