Union Organizers – Service, Hospitality, Healthcare, and Other Workers : Wisconsin
Milwaukee Area Service & Hospitality Workers Organization
Service, Hospitality, Healthcare, and Other Workers
Based in Milwaukee, WI
We are seeking passionate people interested in labor organizing to build a multi-sector, multi-racial workers movement with the Milwaukee Area Service & Hospitality Workers Organization (MASH).
MASH is an organization of service, hospitality and other low-wage workers building collective power to raise standards in our industries. MASH is a new form of worker organization combining the functions of labor union, hiring hall, worker center, and workforce agency. We launched to implement a landmark community benefits agreement for wage floors, union rights, and a hiring hall for service and hospitality jobs in the new Milwaukee arena district. Now we are working to win sectoral standards through a multi-employer, industry-wide initiative and comprehensive campaign.
MASH is hiring experienced Union Organizers to move an ambitious, aggressive program to build power amongst workers and raise standards. MASH is hiring organizers on campaigns to win union recognition and build industry-/sector-wide organization and bargaining.
- Leading workers in struggle; organizing workers to take collective responsibility for transformation of their lives and their community; developing the capabilities of ordinary working people to change the world, starting with their own livelihood
- Worker outreach, building relationships, leadership development, building committees, holding meetings, conducting actions, and inspiring and motivating workers to mobilize in struggle
- Moving workers to action and moving turf to build winning campaigns, through structure and organization that creates the power of strength in numbers
- Developing supporters into activists, cultivating workplace leaders into union leaders, and constructing the organizational structure of a workers’ movement.
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Organizers have experience in union, community or political organizing; extra consideration given for experience and success in union recognition campaigns (NLRB, card check, etc), contract campaigns, building bottom-up rank-and-file campaigns
- Commitment to economic and racial justice; understanding of power.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Ability to be coached and trained, to be held accountable, and to struggle through difficulty.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Resourcefulness, persistence, loyalty and integrity and strong skills in planning, time-management and problem-solving are a must
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
Salary ranges starting at $46,000/annual for organizers but commensurate with experience and position; benefits include fully employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance; cell phone allowance; generous paid time off; and, 6% salary employer contribution to 401(k) account beginning after 6 months of employment . This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position. MASH provides a numerous opportunities to advance and take on interesting, meaningful work.
A résumé should be sent to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Organizer Application”; no cover letter is required but the email should briefly mention why you are interested in organizing with MASH to build the workers movement.
People of color, women, LGBTQ people, and working class and poor people strongly encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com