Campaign Organizers : Illinois
SEIU Healthcare Illinois Indiana Kansas Missouri
Based in Chicago, IL
SEIU Healthcare IL IN MO KS is looking for dynamic and committed Campaign Organizers to join our groundbreaking fight to build power for the 90,000 hospital workers in the Chicagoland area. The hospital organizing campaign is organizing hospital workers across the industry to fight for their right to have a union, improve standards for workers, and expand access to healthcare for Chicagoland communities.
Read more about our fights and campaigns at http://www.seiuhcilin.org/category/health-systems/ & https://www.facebook.com/SEIUHCII/
Who we are: SEIU Healthcare IL IN MO KS is a dynamic, action-oriented union of over 90,000 healthcare and child care workers throughout Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Kansas. We believe in a society defined by freedom and justice, where we can all have quality education, health care and jobs, and where we all can live a full and plentiful life of our choosing. SEIU HCIIMK’s mission is to organize together to build power and demand and win social and economic justice for our communities.
Purpose: The role of the Campaign Organizer is to help unorganized workers to organize and build power in the workplace and the community. This will be done through building organizations and committees of workers fighting for a voice on the job through collective action and campaigns.
Location: Chicago, IL
Duties and Responsibilities: A Campaign Organizer performs a wide range of duties. Examples of those duties and responsibilities are listed below:
- Expand the membership of the union.
- Build support for union organizing efforts amongst workers, community members, consumers and others.
- Develop members to become capable of executing important union organizing roles ensuring members; grow, learn and lead.
- Build and support Organizing Committees through which workers can exercise leadership in campaigns.
- Effectively communicate and promote the Local’s vision and mission.
- Develop worksite campaigns and actions based on group issues.
- Mobilize workers and coordinate organizing meetings, actions and other activities.
- Participate in a wide variety of campaign models and settings.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Scope and Nature of Supervision: A Campaign Organizer must be able to organize their time, develop and carry out plans with minimum supervision. They must also be able to receive direction from and interact with their immediate supervisor or other leads as needed.
Working Conditions: Campaign Organizers may be required to work long and irregular hours and to work on weekends and holidays when necessary. Campaign Organizers may be required to travel and work on remote campaigns for extended periods.
Position Length: 2 years.
Other Expectations: Campaign Organizers are expected to lead by example. It is the role of the Campaign Organizer to provide model behaviors and guidance of what is expected as a Leader in our Union. Organizers must work with racially and ethnically diverse workers in both cities and in rural areas. They must be able to respect, learn from, and lead women, people of color, low-wage workers and others. The organizer mobilizes worker leaders and develops a plan to build a union in the face of fierce attacks from the bosses. All staff are expected to respect the processes of the organization and to work within the framework of the organization to resolve internal disputes and issues.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire workers to develop into leaders and participate in key union organizing activities even in the face of employer opposition and intimidation (i.e. building organizing committees, member to member organizing, actions, etc.).
- Demonstrated understanding of the organizing models employed and how they can be used to empower workers, build the union and improve workers’ lives.
- Ability to think strategically, take initiative and be creative in engaging workers in campaigns and provide the support needed to be successful.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Desire to learn and develop knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining, organizing models and other labor issues and human resource management practices.
- Ability to develop member leaders to deal with worksite issues.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term campaign building goals.
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and internet or willingness to learn.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Dedication to the success of workers’ struggles for social change.
- Professional training opportunities.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits including generous paid time off and employer paid health insurance are included.
Apply online at http://seiuhcii.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2wlmkad5rr7 or by visiting our Careers page on our website, www.seiuhcil.org/careers.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com