Florida Coordinator – Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action : Florida
SEIU Local 32BJ
Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action
Based in Orlando, FL
SEIU 32BJ is seeking a Florida Coordinator for Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action, to be based in Orlando.
SEIU 32BJ represents 168,000 property service workers in eleven East Coast states and the District of Columbia. 32BJ has an aggressive organizing program aimed at raising standards for security officers, airport workers, cleaners, residential maintenance workers and institutional food service workers. 32BJ also has active political, legislative and electoral campaigns to support organizing, raising standards for low wage workers, winning commonsense immigration reform, and fighting for racial justice, environmental justice and other social and economic justice policy initiatives. We are an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2.1 million members dedicated to raising industry standards, making life better for working families and our communities, and building a fair economy.
SEIU has 22,000 members in Puerto Rico, and thousands more members stateside with close family ties to the island. In 2016, 32BJ and SEIU, together with partners in community and labor, launched Vamos4PR, a network of stateside labor, community, cultural, and human rights groups committed to fighting for a better future for Puerto Rico and empowering the Puerto Rican diaspora.
Over the past four years, Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action have organized members of the Puerto Rican diaspora, including people displaced from the island by the debt crisis and Hurricane Maria, and allies to fight for debt relief and to secure adequate resources for the recovery and sustainable development of Puerto Rican communities so the island and its people can thrive and decide their own future. The organizations are focused on advocacy around debt relief and economic justice, building public awareness of the issues facing Puerto Rico, and enhancing civic engagement among stateside Puerto Rican communities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing programs and work plans that advance the strategic goals of Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action in Florida;
- Recruiting and building relationships with community leaders and organizations;
- Planning and coordinating campaign activities, volunteer canvasses, lobby visits, phone and text banks, and other events for Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action campaigns;
- Working with coalition partners to facilitate workshops and conversations focused on Puerto Rico, social justice and political awareness;
- Building the organization’s capacity through fundraising activities;
- Managing staff and consultants as needed.
- 3-5 years’ experience in community organizing, civic engagement, and electoral campaigns;
- Experience working with directly impacted people;
- Ability to plan and execute civic engagement events;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective issue-based campaign plans;
- Ability to work with leaders to develop workshops focused on Puerto Rico, social justice and political awareness;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with various stakeholders;
- Familiarity with word and data processing software, and web-based communication tools;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish and English;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
32BJ offers a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes fully employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents.
Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. Please send a résumé and letter of interest to: HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Florida Vamos4PR” in the Subject line of your email.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com