Senior Organizer : Massachusetts
Based in Boston, MA
Job Title: Senior Organizer
Position: Full time with 3-month probationary period and at least 1-year commitment expected
Salary/benefits: DOE, $55,000 – $62,500 with full health benefits, union contract and retirement plan
Closing Date: This position is open until filled. Applications accepted now.
Community Labor United (CLU) is a partnership of organized labor and community-based social justice groups who have come together to address the growing gap between rich and poor by building a common vision and plan of action. Through strategic research, leadership development and organizing, CLU drives forward policies that promote equitable and sustainable communities in Greater Boston and throughout Massachusetts.
CLU has successfully organized campaigns that have resulted in access to jobs for youth of color in the painting industry; a union contract for security officers in Downtown Boston; a new statewide home weatherization program for working class and communities of color with strong job standards, and a $2.5 billion investment in the state’s public transit system with rider/worker voting seats on all regional transit authority boards. Currently, CLU is working on two major campaigns—one to address the need for accessible, affordable and quality childcare, while increasing job standards for childcare workers and providers, and the other to increase investment in public services and public sector jobs. In addition, CLU convenes the Green Justice Coalition, which promotes “triple-win” clean energy policies that benefit working class communities and ensure good job standards through legislative and corporate campaigns.
The Senior Organizer will be responsible for a wide range of programmatic work and will report to the Executive Director.
- Develop and implement joint organizing strategies and campaign action plans.
- Build and maintain campaign committees, with particular emphasis on engagement of grassroots leaders.
- Build a base of supporters and allies for joint campaigns and provide opportunities for engagement in our work.
- Coordinate cross-training sessions between and among coalition partners.
- Strengthen engagement of coalition partners through current campaigns and other programmatic work.
- Provide opportunities for coalition partners to work in collaborative and mutually supportive ways.
- Assess and provide support for coalition partners’ organizational and campaign needs, including direct 1-on-1 work with individual organizers or other appropriate staff/leaders.
- Assess and evaluate potential joint organizing campaigns through consistent communication with coalition partners and allies.
- Assist with conducting annual Leadership Institutes, including providing logistical support and leading sessions.
- Assist with fundraising activities, including grants, activities, dues collection, events, and mailings.
- Assist in supervision of interns or consultants when appropriate.
- Minimum 3 years organizing experience
- Commitment to social justice and agreement with organizational mission and goals
- Excellent communication skills–verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills– good attention to detail and well organized;
- Self-motivated—proven ability to work independently
- Proven Ability to work under definite timelines and deadlines
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours;
- Basic knowledge of computer operations and programs
- Basic understanding of fundraising through foundations and individual donors
- Coalition building and knowledge of Massachusetts and Boston organizing scene desired
- Bilingual in English and Spanish desired
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, résumé and three references to Khalida Smalls at
email@example.com. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you.
Women, People of Color and GLBQT strongly urged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com