Human Resources Director : Illinois
SEIU Local 1
Human Resources Director
Based in Chicago, IL
SUMMARY & JOB DESCRIPTION
SEIU Local 1 is seeking a forward-thinking individual in Chicago to create and administer innovative staff development programs that bolster the Local’s long-standing commitment to economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice.
The Human Resources Director will design and implement an overall strategy to recruit and develop a diverse workforce, while also providing leadership on policies, benefits and practices that support equity and inclusion. This individual will have knowledge of and direct experience with progressive causes.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Recruitment, Hiring, Onboarding
- Develop and implement an overall strategy aimed at enhancing outreach, recruitment and hiring from black and brown, immigrant, LGBTQ+ communities, and other protected classes.
- Oversee hiring process including recruitment, interviews, employment offers.
- Develop, implement and manage all aspects of onboarding for new hires that is designed to cultivate a greater understanding of the organization’s strategic priorities and give them the tools and information they need to be a successful team member.
- Produce and manage job descriptions and job postings in collaboration with other managers.
Equity and Inclusion
- Ability to work closely with our Leadership and Racial Justice Committee to assist in the implementation of education and engagement around equity and inclusion.
- Ability to provide support to the organization and individual staff as it relates to equity and inclusion.
Staff Support and Retention
- Administer policies and Staff CBA to promote fair/consistent policy application.
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal employment laws (e.g. FMLA, FLSA, and NLRA).
- Develop HR policies and objectives as well as partner with management to communicate those policies and ensure compliance with them.
- Develop, administer and manage a local-wide staff evaluation and development process.
- Improve manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems, implementing solutions and creating a culture of accountability.
- Create employee-relations practices for positive employer-employee relationships and promotion of high employee morale, engagement and performance.
- Coach managers in career development, employee relations and talent management.
- Conduct needs assessments, develop and implement all employee training activities.
- Compile employee data, create metrics, analyze data, and make recommendations to address workplace and employment trends.
- Mentor employees and counsel managers on performance issues.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively higher-level HR or staff development experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity as well as social and economic justice.
- Familiarity and direct experience with progressive causes.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to influence, combined with a roll-up-your-sleeves approach and the ability to execute.
- Proactive and self-driven with the ability to think creatively and impose structure within a flexible environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced culture.
- Demonstrated experience managing in a collaborative environment, earning the trust and credibility of management across an organization.
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal skills and the ability to calmly and diplomatically deal with conflict.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
- Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.
Submit a résumé and cover letter at: http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc41v7l
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com