Medicare for All Organizer – Public Citizen’s President’s Office : District of Columbia
Medicare for All Organizer
Public Citizen’s President’s Office
Based in Washington, DC
Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with more than 500,000 members and supporters. We take on corporate power and seek to advance justice and democracy, health and equality. We have worked for a single-payer, Medicare-for-All system for our entire 47-year history, and are now scaling up our campaigning.
Every day, Americans experience a health care system that doesn’t work, and they know it. People turned out en masse to protect the Medicaid expansion, and they did so around the broad idea that health care is right for all. Public support for a single-payer, Medicare-for-All system is surging, and politicians are paying attention.
Now it’s time to seize the opportunity to drive forward the Medicare-for-All campaign, and to win. Public Citizen is investing in a major, long-term national organizing campaign on Medicare-for-All, to complement our existing team, which includes a full-time Campaign Director, a federal health policy advocate, deeply expert physicians and researchers, and our communications department. We will be ratcheting up the national campaign for Medicare-for-All, to force elected officials to take a stand, to countervail the power of the insurance industry, and to finally deliver on the imperative of providing health care to all Americans as a matter of right.
The grassroots organizing campaign will emphasize:
- Educating and engaging ever more Americans in the fight for Medicare-for-All, in every state;
- Winning local and state resolutions in favor of Medicare-for-All;
- In-district and in-state organizing to lobby Members of Congress to sponsor Medicare-for-All legislation; and, if they have already sponsored legislation, to become champions;
- Support for state Medicare-for-All initiatives.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Organizer will work closely with the Campaign Director to execute our grassroots organizing strategy for local and nationwide coordinated action in support of Medicare-for-All. The organizer primarily will help identify and cultivate relationships with grassroots activists and local coalitions in target states and districts to build the people power needed to convince policymakers to support Medicare for All legislation, as well as continue the drumbeat supporting universal health care in the lead up the 2020 elections. The organizer will also provide support to the Campaign Director in developing on-line and offline campaign materials and nurturing a growing, national Medicare for All coalition.
This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial organizer with creative ideas and excellent follow-through skills to engage people and organizations through on-line and offline outreach. If you enjoy jumping into new territory with both feet and figuring out what moves people to action and are passionate about securing health care for all, this may be the position for you!
The Medicare for All Organizer will:
- Engage in online and offline outreach via phone banking, email alerts, social media, and working in local coalitions to mobilize activists in target states and districts to take action.
- Travel to rally and train grassroots activists to effectively implement action strategies, such as letters-to-the-editor, local actions, in-district meetings with lawmakers, and local government resolutions.
- Help write and upload email messages and develop action pages to engage members to take action with the campaign. Help coordinate strategic efforts to grow the Medicare for All email list and deepen the engagement of activists in the campaign.
- Report and track on progress of online organizing and field efforts and pro-actively use the data to improve outreach, messaging and tactics.
- Write and copy edit fact sheets, action toolkits, and web and social media content.
- Help nurture a growing coalition on Medicare for All by providing infrastructure, such as helping to manage listservs and planning meetings.
- Provide additional support to the Campaign Director and other single payer focused staff and experts as needed.
You could be great for this job if you have:
- At least three years of strategic issue-based advocacy and organizing and/or electoral experience at the state and/or national level.
- Experience moving grassroots activists up a ladder of engagement through on-line and “shoe leather” organizing.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work well with a wide range of people;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience producing fact sheets, talking points and analysis within a campaign setting.
- Experience implementing social media and digital campaigns.
- Successful strategies to keep yourself organized in a fast-paced environment, meet short-term deadlines, balance multiple responsibilities, and maintain strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- A desire to travel to target communities and states.
Although not required, a strong candidate may have some of the following:
- Skills in video production, editing, and/or graphic design or HTML.
- Experience building and updating campaign websites.
- Working experience with Salsa, Convio or similar online advocacy and email tools.
- Spanish language skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary for this role will be between $49,125 to $71,084 depending upon experience. The exact salary will be determined using a salary schedule that is part of a collective bargaining agreement. Thus individual salaries will not be subject to negotiation.
- Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children
- Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
- 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- Student loan reimbursement program
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as a single PDF document, as well as one to two brief and relevant writing samples (no more than two pages) to Melinda St. Louis at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Public Citizen employees are proud members of SEIU Local 500. People of color, women and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com