Education Representative : Maryland
William W. Winpisinger Education and Technology Center
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW)
Based in Hollywood, MD
The Education Representative will work with Winpisinger Center staff and various Departments of the IAM to plan, develop, and facilitate classes and week-long for IAM members, officers, activists and staff at the IAM’s residential education facility in southern Maryland – and on occasion at various field locations through the US and Canada. These classes and programs will provide education and skills development for and about workers, the IAM, and the broader labor movement. Some of the classes the Educational Representative may be asked to facilitate include classes about basic workplace rights, economics, union stewards, collective bargaining, leadership, communication, federal workers, women workers, young workers, community-labor alliances, and organizing.
- Adult / popular education and public speaking: Presenting materials about work, workers, the IAM, and the labor and social movements generally in workshop and classroom settings.
- Curriculum Development: Working with the staff of the Winpisinger Center to develop curriculum that prepares IAM members, officers, activists and staff to effectively represent and grow the membership in a rapidly changing and increasingly hostile world.
- Research: Gathering information about key issues, public policy, and events affecting work, workers, and the economy to use in classes and programs.
- Logistics and administrative support for Winpisinger Center functions: Working with Winpisinger Center staff to track and maintain training resources and make them accessible to IAM members, officers, activists and staff in field.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or enrolled and working to complete) AND a minimum of three years’ experience in union and/or labor education activities, OR 5 years of union and / or labor education experience
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Adult / popular education and public speaking: confident & creative presentation and facilitation skills.
- In-depth knowledge of unions, labor history and current labor issues.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outreach: ability to work with a diverse set of community partners and issues, and comfort engaging in controversial topics.
- Logistics and administrative support for Winpisinger Center functions: strong computer skills (MS Office); being organized and an excellent time manager; ability and willingness to work occasional evening and weekends.
- Physical requirements: a great deal of sitting, some standing, some driving, minimal lifting and carrying, a great deal of computer and phone use.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficiency in language other than English
- Familiarity with online learning platforms and curriculum development for online / distance education
- Having held an officer or staff position in a union
- Having participated in significant union campaigns including organizing, bargaining, and / or leadership development.
Set in accordance with IAM Representatives Association contract; starting salary is: $89,656.26.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; résumé, name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of applications is underway and will continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Chris Wagoner, Director
IAMAW – William Winpisinger Education and Technology Center
24494 Placid Harbor Way
Hollywood, MD 20636
The IAMAW is an Equal Opportunity Employer – women, minorities, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com