Digital Communications Specialist : District of Columbia
Digital Communications Specialist
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don’t have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Digital Communications Specialist will organize and support campaigns across digital platforms; manage the organization’s presence on social media and across text messaging programs; and create and publish content for digital and print communications.
Reports to: Associate Communications Director
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Digital Communications and Social Media:
- Develop branded online communities on the organization’s behalf using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and other social media platforms;
- Expand the organization’s use of social media tools and research new platforms to tell our story through digital and print media to reach target audiences, including members, opinion leaders, reporters, public officials, and coalition partners;
- Liaise digital and social media strategies with the AFL-CIO, affiliate and coalition digital communications departments;
- Help support local, state-based and national campaigns, increase member attachment, win legislative and electoral campaigns, recruit new members and drive messaging;
- Assist in developing print/multimedia graphics, layouts and Powerpoint presentations;
- Using the Mobile Commons platform and peer-to-peer text messaging platforms to organize digital communities and assist with campaigns;
- Assist with email advocacy list management and online activism campaigns;
- Create, edit and publish content across Working America’s websites;
- Report on metrics and analytics of organization’s digital efforts;
- Develop and execute small-scale digital advertising campaigns, and work with vendors and other staff on larger ones;
- Develop and maintain an informed awareness of topics of interest to Working America to most effectively carry out duties;
- Work with coalition partners to promote campaign and organizational goals;
- Monitor news and online activist communities to find and develop campaign opportunities in Working America’s core areas;
- Cross-functional support of all communications needs.
Writing & Editing:
- Working with the Communications team, draft Working America email messages, digital calls to action, and blog posts;
- Draft op-eds, LTEs and public and internal documents, including but not limited to brochures, leaflets, campaign reports, annual reports, field materials, memos and articles, among others;
- Interview Working America members, draft their stories, and convert into content for the necessary communications channels;
- Conduct background research and develop briefings on issues, candidates, funders and other topics;
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS NEEDED:
- At least 2-3 years of campaign communications experience in a union, political, or progressive issue campaign environment including at least one year of experience in digital communications and social media required;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and ability to work independently as well as on a team;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs;
- Demonstrated experience meeting tough deadlines and providing fast turn-around of quality communications and working in a high-pressure environment;
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills, with an ability to operate in a highly organized fashion;
- Demonstrated political skills and good judgment;
- Strong background in, or strong familiarity with, the labor movement, movements for progressive social change, and political or issue campaigns;
- Demonstrated interest in making a career in the labor movement;
- A strong understanding of organizational goals, procedures and protocols, and the ability to work within these parameters.
- Graphic Design skills;
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS;
- Experience with peer-to-peer text messaging platforms like Hustle or Relay.
- Washington, DC
- FLSA classification: Exempt
Salary is competitive and includes medical insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution. Working America is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this position online at: https://workingamerica.hirecentric.com/jobs/133689.html
For a list of all employment opportunities, visit www.workingamerica.org/jobs.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com