Communication Specialist II – Public Affairs Department : California
SEIU Local 2015
Communications Specialist II
Public Affairs Department
Based in Sacramento, CA
Communication Specialist II
Department: Public Affairs
We fight for the respect and dignity of some of the most hard-working people in this country who are on the frontlines of taking care of some of the most vulnerable citizens.
We are looking for talented and creative individuals to fill research, organizing and lead organizing positions across the state of California.
Work within public affairs of SEIU Local 2015 is about successful and effective communication internally and externally. Internally, it is focused on clear, concise, and engaging message development and strategies that inform and mobilize members and staff in the many languages and means that are accessible to them. Externally, it is working to become known as a leading voice, advocate, and authority for quality long term care in the state of California and a catalyst for social and economic justice in our communities. By doing so, we will have made the very landscape that we organize, bargain, and do political work on, easier terrain. This will raise standards for our members, their families and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing and editing member communications, including leaflets, direct mail, and content for the Local’s newsletter and website
- Conceptualizing and producing publications in-house and with graphic designers, commercial printers and fulfillment houses
- Working with communications and organizing staff to develop and execute communications strategies to build membership and advance campaigns
- Develop public relations campaign strategies, timelines and tactics to support our organizing, contract bargaining and legislative goals.
- Assist and lead on event production and staging, scriptwriting, when needed
- Working with media to frame member issues through writing press releases and other materials and conducting media outreach
- Assisting in planning and implementing communications strategies to support campaigns by producing fact sheets, press kits, talking points, leaflets, op-eds and other materials as needed
- Assisting on other communications projects as needed, including training and developing member spokespeople and more
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
Required Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to frame issues for different audiences
- Must be able to plan, develop and handle multiple projects simultaneously, deliver on time and within budget
- Advanced layout and design skills
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher); familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign; ability to be trained as needed on additional software and train other communications staff as needed
- Willingness to manage projects independently, work with a team, as well as independently
- Have 3 years of experience in campaign communications, media relations, production management, traffic, marketing, or writing or combination
- Flexibility to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends; ability to travel as needed
- 1 year experience in communication or campaign experience with a membership organization, labor union, grassroots advocacy, political campaign or elected official.
- Proficient in two of the three major disciplines of Public Affairs work — media relations, production management, and campaign communications and ready for training for proficiency on third.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. However, duties and function may require performing work in the field with members and outside constituents. Some irregular hours required. Intermittent travel may be required.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
Communication Specialist may report to a Communications Director, External Affairs Director or local union officer, or other assigned supervisor. Communication Specialists are frequently expected to operate without day-to-day supervision, to develop their own work plans and goals, and to act with a degree of discretion and independent judgment. Accordingly, they must be strong self-starters and have a commitment to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
To Apply For This Position
Mail, e-mail or fax a detailed résumé, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
In subject of email: Position Title of Position to which you are applying
SEIU Local 2015
c/o Human Resources
2515 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Attn: Human Resources
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com