Lead Writer/Member Communications Coordinator : Illinois
TEAMSTERS LOCAL 727
Lead Writer/Member Communications Coordinator
Based in the Chicago, Illinois Area
Teamsters Local Union No. 727 seeks a full-time Lead Writer/Member Communications Coordinator in Chicago, Illinois area.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primarily responsible for developing internal and external member communications content representing the interests of the membership of Teamsters Local 727. Key duties and responsibilities shall include:
- Developing, writing, editing and distributing internal and external communication materials (e.g., newsletters, bargaining updates, fliers/handbills, letters to the editor, op-eds, etc.) with little supervision;
- Drafting news stories, features and press releases about the membership;
- Maintaining the local union’s core websites and social media accounts;
- Communicating using a variety of media including print, visual, digital, photographs, etc.;
- Telling the stories of Teamster members through email, websites, newsletters and social media;
- Journalistically sourcing stories from members;
- Clearly and concisely translating complex legal and labor concepts into compelling communications to members;
- Maintaining and designing promotional inventory;
- Implementing rapid-response and issue-based communications when warranted; and,
- Assisting with media and promotional vendor relations.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or related discipline;
- Significant professional journalism, writing, storytelling and communication experience;
- Demonstrated experience with communications in a variety of formats (e.g., print, website content, social media, email, newsletters, articles, editorials, marketing, etc.);
- Experience shooting high quality photos and video for online distribution
- Experience with graphic design;
- Strong computer skills required: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, and other web design, email and website publishing programs; and,
- Knowledge and understanding of the current labor movement is strongly preferred
Interested Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé, at least three (3) professional writing samples that have been previously published, three professional references, and copies of college transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com