Business Representative/Organizer : Pennsylvania, Virginia
Carpenters Industrial Council
United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
including but not limited to Delaware, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
The Carpenters Industrial Council, an affiliate of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, represents many types of workers throughout the United States. The CIC is seeking an energetic and highly motivated person for the position of Business Representative/Organizer in our Eastern Region, which includes but is not limited to the states of Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia and North Carolina.
The candidate shall possess a strong personality and willingness to assist in the development of members into strong Local Union leaders as they fight for decent jobs that provide good wages and benefits.
Responsibilities Include (but not limited to):
- Attend Local Union meetings and conduct monthly shop visits to each assigned plant.
- Help develop and implement strategies to involve union members in concerted activities that help build the union’s capacity to effectively represent employees in their internal communications and membership mobilization.
- Foster recruitment and training of union stewards who can assist members in solving problems on the job through contract enforcement and direct actions.
- Serve as the Lead Negotiator in bargaining contracts for assigned Local Unions.
- Assist as a facilitator with training and work with local union leaders to ensure effective meetings, sound fiscal practices and strong internal communication.
- Prepare grievances for arbitration.
- Identify and report non-represented facilities as potential organizing targets.
- Organize non-represented facilities, which would include working as a team with other Organizers and Representatives in strategic planning, house calling, phone banking, conducting meetings, building in-plant-committees, educating, inoculating, mobilizing, mapping the workforce, database input, and extensive travel.
- Willingness to work long hours, nights and some weekends
- Strong commitment to building the labor movement
- Experience and training necessary to conduct contract negotiations
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Proven ability to organize and carry out work assignments
- Leadership skills to motivate members to get them involved in Union activities
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in complex situations
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to write well and to craft contract language and letters
- Good computer skills
Competitive salary based on experience, full benefit package including defined pension, family health insurance and many other benefits
Email a cover letter, résumé and four references letters to: email@example.com.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com