Interim Communications Director : Michigan
Interim Communications Director
Based in Lansing, MI
Introduction: The Michigan AFL-CIO is seeking to hire an Interim Communications Director for the 2018 campaign cycle. This position will report to the Campaign Manager, and will be responsible for working closely with the state labor federation’s campaign staff and consulting team to develop campaign messaging for a robust labor election campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop messaging materials for campaign staff and volunteers, including message boxes, message triangles, and talking points.
- Draft written materials, such as press releases, op-eds, speeches, and letters to the editor.
- Plan and execute earned media activities with labor officers and rank-and-file members in key media markets across Michigan.
- Schedule and help prep labor officers for news interviews.
- Manage the state federation’s digital media presence, including the website, email list, Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
- Work with the consulting team to manage and help execute the paid media campaign – which will include direct mail and digital advertising – while working to enforce message discipline.
- Participate in communications table meetings with fellow labor and progressive communicators to coordinate issue-based messaging and strategy.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree is required in public relations, marketing, journalism, English, creative writing, public policy, or a closely related field.
- Strong writing and verbal skills.
- At least five years or two election cycles worth of experience working in political communications.
- On-the-record experience with print, radio, and TV news reporters.
- Understanding and experience working with the labor movement.
- Graphic design and/or video production experience is a plus.
- Work is generally in an office setting, however some travel may be required.
- The applicant must be willing to work in a fast-paced campaign environment. Periodically long work hours are required.
How to Apply: Please submit a résumé, brief cover letter, and three writing samples from previous communications campaigns, and three references to email@example.com by 5:00PM on April 26th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Compensation: Salary and benefits are competitive, and are commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position will be funded through December 2018 and has the ability to be renewed upon further review.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com