Organizer II : California
SEIU Local 2015
Based in San Bernardino, CA
We fight for the respect and dignity of some of the most hard-working people in this country who are on the frontlines of taking care of some of the most vulnerable citizens.
We are looking for talented and creative individuals to fill open positions across the state of California.
Organizers help workers form, build, and grow our union; assist workers to negotiate and enforce their union contracts; mobilize workers around worksite issues, politics, public policy, and other issues affecting the lives of workers; develop rank-and-file leadership among workers; and carry out all other programs of the union in the field. SEIU Local 2015 organizers may be assigned to work as “internal” organizers – working with and on behalf of workers who are already in unions; or as “external” organizers – working with and on behalf of workers who are in the process of building a union for the first time.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.
The Organizer II performs a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall union program or a specific campaign. Examples of those duties and responsibilities are listed below:
- Train and assist staff in identifying, recruiting, developing, and partnering with leaders to successfully implement the mission, goals and work of the union
- Coordinate teams of staff and members in developing and implementing industry vision, programs, and campaigns
- Challenge staff and assist to embrace change in all aspects of their work
- Help develop and direct campaigns to resolve workplace issues.
- Assist staff/lead contract negotiations, campaigns and strikes
- Guide integration of politics, community relationships and organizing support into the daily work of staff
- Participate in and/or lead new organizing and political campaigns as needed
- Train, develop and hold teams accountable to goals and outcomes
- Develop staff and member leaders
- Cover for vacation and trouble shoot on particularly difficult staff assignments
- Contribute to organizational vision and manage the local’s strategic plans and campaigns
- Plan and run comprehensive organizing and contract campaigns, as assigned
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and mission of the organization.
- Demonstrated experiences, abilities and skills required of an Organizer I and/or equivalent of 4 years of Organizer I experience
- Ability to lead staff in a way that motivates and inspire members to develop into leaders and participate in key union programs (i.e. politics, organizing, bargaining, etc.)
- Ability to demonstrate Local 2015 5 Core Values in his/her day-to-day work
- Ability to frame issues and articulate organizational values and priorities
- Ability to lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Sound organizational skills to assist staff in managing and prioritizing work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team
- 4+ years of experience in union or community organizing and representation leading a team of at least two or more staff.
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
Physical Requirements: Long and extended hours and travel is required. Work is generally performed out in the field with members and external constituents.
To Apply For This Position:
E-mail or fax a detailed résumé, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
In subject of email: Position Title of Position you are applying for
Attn: Human Resources
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com