Media and Communications Strategist – Department of External Relations : District of Columbia
Media and Communications Strategist
Department of External Relations
Based in Washington, DC
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a job opening for a Media and Communications Strategist in the Department of External Relations, which is responsible for the AAUP’s communications with members, leaders, and the public. The department and the Media and Communications Strategist also provide staffing for the AAUP’s two sister organizations, the AAUP-CBC and the AAUP Foundation. This is an exciting opportunity at a critically important time for the AAUP and in the academy. We invite you to join us in our vital work to defend and advance the academic freedom, shared governance, due process rights, and economic security of the profession. This position involves building and maintaining positive public relations between the AAUP and its two sister organizations and the news media, AAUP chapter staff and leaders, members, and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary responsibility for outreach to the media, including writing media releases, story pitches, and op-eds; maintaining and building relationships with reporters; and training other staff and members to be spokespeople.
- Primary responsibility for logistics of the media program, including sending out media releases, maintaining a media database, tracking coverage, and fielding incoming media queries.
- Primary responsibility for designing and implementing a social media strategy aimed at raising awareness of AAUP activities and engaging members and prospective members. This includes maintaining Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts for the AAUP; making recommendations about other social media use; analyzing performance data; and creating, editing, distributing, and optimizing relevant text, graphic, and video content.
- Maintaining the media sections of our websites, including selecting and posting news items.
- Helping plan digital organizing campaigns aimed at engaging and growing the membership, supporting chapter ground campaigns, and/or influencing policymakers.
- Providing guidance to chapters on communications and messaging.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in media relations and social media strategy.
- Self-starting, with ability to manage projects with minimal supervision and handle multiple priorities and tasks in a deadline-driven environment.
- Three to five years of work experience in media relations, strategic communications, or related field required. Five plus years preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Computer proficiency, including working familiarity with MS Office suite and the ability to learn to edit and post on WordPress and Drupal websites. Experience working with the Meltwater media suite preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MA in related field preferred.
- Work experience with membership organizations, advocacy organizations, labor unions, and/or higher education environment preferred.
Salary range: $60,000 for minimum qualifications. Higher salary for preferred qualifications. Generous benefits package.
This Media and Communications Strategist position is categorized as an associate position in the Department of External Relations and is part of the staff union bargaining unit. This is an exempt position and not eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, e-mail a résumé with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com