California Policy Organizer : California
California Policy Organizer
Based in San Francisco or Sacramento, CA
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of California Policy Organizer based in San Francisco or Sacramento.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations to identify ways that today’s environmental challenges can create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic professional to join our team in California as a Policy Organizer. This position will work closely with the West Coast Director to carry out our legislative, regulatory, and campaign advocacy work in Sacramento and throughout the state. The organizer will work in coalition with our partners and other BGA staff/departments. The CA Policy Organizer reports to the West Coast Director and works closely with other BlueGreen Alliance staff and the California BlueGreen Alliance Steering Committee members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Work to implement clean economy jobs advocacy priorities at the state level in collaboration with the West Coast Director.
- Identify state policy levers to promote the creation of quality jobs in the clean economy, including energy efficiency, transportation, procurement, and workforce standards.
- Work with the West Coast Director, state-level BGA partners, and allies to help develop and implement a plan to advocate for agreed upon goals determined by the group. Tasks may include legislature and agency education, earned media, and social media activities.
- Educate partners, allies, and policymakers in the legislature and agencies on policies that create good jobs while addressing climate change issues.
- Work with BGA research, communications, and policy departments to conduct policy analysis, and produce talking points, blogs, fact sheets, social media, and other content.
- Provide some level of administrative support to our organizing and outreach efforts in California (e.g. set up meetings, maintain contacts database, etc.).
- Other duties as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in policy development and engagement, with a background in issue campaigns preferred.
- Experience working with labor unions is required. Background on workforce issues is a plus.
- Familiarity with clean energy, workforce concepts, climate change, and other environmental issues preferred; regulatory or legislative experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain productive working relationships with organizations and business around the state.
- Familiarity with the political landscape of California strongly preferred.
- An ability to travel to Sacramento as needed (by train or car).
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance
Additional Information: Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “CA Policy Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com