Secretary/Bookkeeper : Washington
ILWU Local 19
Local 19 of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union is the Longshore labor union in the Port of Seattle. We represent the employees of the Marine Terminal Operators, Stevedore contractors and Grain warehouse and export facilities that do business in and around the Port of Seattle. Local 19 was first chartered in 1937, but the union has had a continuous presence in Seattle dating back to the Stevedores, Longshoreman and Rigger’s union of the Washington Territory, chartered in 1886. We have around 850 registered members in addition to a large casual workforce.
This position involves “full charge” bookkeeping duties and requires extensive experience with generating payroll, financial statements, bank reconciliation and general accounting. We are looking for someone who has excellent organizational skills, works well under pressure and is able to work independently to meet deadlines.
Key Responsibilities of New Position:
- Keep accurate financial records for the organization. Reconcile accounts monthly.
- Disburse funds, issue check and drafts as ordered by the President and/or Office Manager
- Deposit all monies in the name of and to the credit of the organization into the banks and depositories designated by the President and/or Office Manager.
- Post membership dues both manually and electronically. Assure accuracy of membership dues and records.
- Provide an account of all financial transactions as requested by the President and/or Office Manager.
- Report to the President of Local 19 as to the financial condition of the Local. Prepare monthly Profit and Loss statement and Balance Sheet as well as a preliminary annual budget.
- Calculate and prepare payroll weekly, which includes employer insurance, retirement contributions, and other benefits. Weekly payroll tax withholding through EFTPS. File quarterly IRS employment Reports and 1099’s.
- Assist with and collect information as needed for annual audits and assist Auditors with LM2’s and 990 filings of the Local Union. Daily interaction with the President and/or Office Manager and Trustees.
- Maintain current knowledge of all law and practices through verifiable seminar/course attendance.
- General office duties including filing, answering phone calls, and assisting members with forms, etc.
- File regular reports with the Washington Public Disclosure Commission for the Local 19 PAC fund.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the President and/or Office Manager.
- Bachelor of Arts or Associates Degree in accounting strongly preferred. At least 4 years creditable experience in accounting may substitute degree
- Significant professional experience as an Accountant or Bookkeeper is preferred.
- Strong computer skills. Experience with accounting software products such as QuickBooks Pro, Microsoft Office products, and some manual dues processing.
- Must be trustworthy, have strong communication and customer service skills.
- A keen attention to detail.
- The ability to plan and prioritize effectively, to manage multiple projects and to meet competing demands and deadlines.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are required
Must submit to local background check upon interview. This is a union represented position. New hires have 30 days to join Local 8 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union. We offer a starting wage of $25/hour with room for increases (commensurate with experience.) and a health and welfare benefits package that is second to none.
Send a résumé, cover letter and salary history in PDF format to President@ILWULocal19.org, be sure to reference Bookkeeper in Subject line.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com