Business Representative/Organizer : California
Based in Oakland, CA
(San Francisco Bay Area)
Office & Professional Employees International Union, Local 29, AFL-CIO (OPEIU 29) is a dynamic, progressive labor union for professional, technical and office professionals who represent private sector/public sector workers who value a voice in the workplace, in a variety of diverse workplaces. We are committed to leading and assisting members to improve their workplace, gain competitive wages, benefits, and respect in the workplace.
OPEIU 29 represents a diverse membership in the greater San Francisco Bay Area and throughout California, with its headquarters in Oakland, California.
OPEIU 29 is seeking a Business Representative/Organizer to represent and organize workers.
- Grievance processing including investigation up to arbitration
- Negotiate and administer Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Interpret and administer complex legal and contract language
- Mediation and dispute resolution
- Coordinate and maintain a shop stewards base, including recruitment, training and support of shop stewards and activists.
- Attend and lead at regular unit meetings
- Organizing internal and external membership through campaigns
- Develop rank and file leadership
- Prepares leaflets, bulletins, etc. for communication with membership
- Experience Business Representative/Organizer or proven ability to perform the duties of the position
- Demonstrate commitment to the labor movement and social justice
- Strong effective written and verbal skills in a variety of forms, including emails, letters, grievances, settlement agreements, contract proposals, flyers, petitions and newsletter articles in all Microsoft suite programs
- Ability to manage multiple cases with deadlines and prioritize workload, and work independently
- Computer skills and proficiency in basic programs
- Willingness and ability to travel, and to work non-traditional hours including nights and weekends
- Valid driver’s license, dependable automobile and valid automobile insurance
- Demonstrated success at contract negotiations, grievance processing and organizing new members
Salary and Benefits: Salary depending on experience, benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, and pension.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A current résumé reflecting qualifications for this position.
- Letter of application addressing how accomplishments in your career have prepared you to meet the challenges and opportunities facing Local 29.
Please email your résumé and any materials electronically to this email address:
All inquiries and material submitted will be kept confidential.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
OPEIU 29 is committed to diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and interested in applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and genders.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com