Research Intern (12-week Summer Internship) : Massachusetts
(12-week Summer Internship)
Based in Cambridge, MA
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for addressing global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war. UCS’s Development Department raises the majority of the organization’s operational budget from individuals and private foundations.
Do you have an affinity for research and a knack for uncovering hard-to-find information? UCS’s Foundations Team seeks an organized, meticulous researcher to help drive forward its new prospecting initiative. As the Research Intern, you will undertake research needed to expand, qualify, and cultivate a pool of funding prospects to support UCS’s growing programs.
- Utilizing subscription-based research tools and public search engines to build organization profiles.
- Researching donor capacity and addresses for individual prospects.
- Mapping relationships between organizations and UCS contacts to establish point of entry.
- Assisting the Associate with data input and maintenance of the prospecting spreadsheet.
- Compiling weekly reports of prospects’ progress toward solicitation.
- Other research projects supporting the team’s goals as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to work with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently for extended periods of time and persistence in researching hard-to-find information.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with and comfort navigating online databases and research tools.
- Experience working in an office setting is preferred.
Spends extended periods at computer monitor and keyboard.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We’ve adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours, and Location: This is a full-time, 12-week internship based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. Looking for someone to start around mid to late June. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is the equivalent of $16.50 per hour, $34,320 per year annualized, this is a non-benefit position. UCS offers an excellent and rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and how you learned about the position via email to email@example.com and include “Research Intern” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. Deadline: May 14, 2018, or until filled.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com