Lead Union Organizer : Michigan
Lead Union Organizer
Based in Detroit, MI
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice! We are now hiring a Lead Organizer to work on exciting campaigns to organize new workers in Detroit, MI. This position will require extensive travel.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively lead a team of organizers to plan and implement new worker organizing campaigns.
- Coordinate with research and communications teams to develop campaign strategies.
- Recruit and develop the leadership ability of workplace leaders and worker committees.
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc3axq9
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com