Health Care Union Membership Organizer : Rhode Island
Health Care Union Membership Organizer
The New England Health Care Employees Union, District 1199/SEIU is looking for smart, motivated individuals who want to help workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in health care for all working families.
Often called “my favorite union” by Martin Luther King Jr., District 1199 is a bold, democratic labor organization with a long activist tradition. Over the past 25 years, we have used strategic campaigns and direct action to form unions, win significant victories for employees, and demand improvements for sick, elderly, and needy patients in nursing homes, state direct care and mental health facilities, hospitals and other health care centers.
Our union is over 20,000 members strong in hospitals, nursing homes, community health centers and more across Rhode Island, Connecticut, and SE Massachusetts. The majority of our members and staff are women, people of color, and/or immigrants. We are also affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) — the largest and fastest-growing labor union in the country.
Union Membership Organizers work with members to build and exercise power in the workplace and to advocate for better health care services.
- Train members to tackle problems, serve as advocates, stand up against bad management decisions, and become effective leaders in the workplace.
- Meet with workers at the worksite, on the phone, and through house visits.
- Recruit volunteers to participate in political, legislative, and issue campaigns.
- Organize membership meetings and events; handle grievance procedures.
- Lead actions, rallies, contract negotiations, and strikes.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing skills at work, on campus, or in the community. Experience as a union or community organizer preferred; health care experience a plus.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Bilingual skills in Spanish, Creole/French, or Portuguese a plus.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, manage time and priorities.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Good listening, speaking and writing communication skills.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license.
Salary dependent on experience; includes medical benefits, pension, and paid vacation time.
To apply, send cover letter and résumé to:
SEIU 1199NE, Attn: Chas Walker
319 Broadway, Providence, RI 02909
You can also fax to 401-457-1150 or email email@example.com
Be sure to describe why you want to be a union organizer and how you heard about the job.
Learn more about District 1199 at www.seiu1199ne.org
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com