Political Coordinator : District of Columbia
Based in Washington, DC
*THIS POSITION WILL REQUIRE INCUMBENT TO LIVE IN THE IDENTIFIED AREA OF THE COUNTRY*
UFCW is seeking a Political Coordinator in the Washington, District of Columbia area to implement the department’s programs by performing duties associated with UFCW’s legislative and political goals and objectives. This is a junior level position that supports field activities. Minimum four years of political campaign experience. This position requires the exercise of discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates political field programs in targeted states that intuitively allow the locals to be responsible for their program, creates an atmosphere that will allow follow up with local union leadership. Creates training programs to ensure participants understand goals and objectives.
- Supports field programs to increase Active Ballot Club participation and local political activism in coordination with region offices.
- Works with senior staff to encourage local unions to lobby on legislative issues of concern to UFCW.
- Provides support to the Voter Activation Network (VAN) in coordination with International field programs. This may require providing some administrative assistance with data entry and general database maintenance.
- In coordination and direction from the Political Director, support and assist with supervision of the International’s lost timer program at local union offices as it relates to federal state and local electoral and legislative work.
- Support the Department’s field program which can include canvassing, phone banking and providing general campaign office support as needed by the campaign.
- Support the UFCW Youth Internship Program, as it relates to programs within the Department.
- Regularly coordinates work priorities with UFCW Political Director.
- Monitors the political activities database covering designated multiple states. Works with Political Action Coordinator to develop appropriate political reports.
- Coordinates with region offices and local unions to recruit activists to support UFCW program goals and objectives.
- Works with senior staff to develop relationships with allies in support of program goals and objectives. Assists in integrating legislative and political programs.
- Works with senior staff to help develop the UFCW’s strategic political plan. Provides basic analysis on multiple state legislative proposals and reports findings to designated staff to use in recommending organizational support or opposition based on the impact on UFCW members, wages and working conditions, industries, families, and communities.
- Extensive travel and long/irregular hours required. Relocation may be necessary. Long term deployment for legislative and/or political campaigns.
Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field or equivalent related experience. Minimum of four years of political campaign experience required. Experience in the labor movement is desirable. Experience in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint is required. Web-based voter file, i.e., VAN, LAN, etc. Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of Voter Activation Network including running lists, cutting turf, importing scripts and database maintenance.
Strong writing skills are required. Strong oral presentations skills are required. Must be able to learn to make effective oral presentations to groups or individuals. Spanish language fluency is a plus, but not required.
Must be able to understand programs utilizing technology and existing communications networks, including Twitter. Must be able to quickly learn Federal Election Commission (FEC) law, regulations concerning Political Action Committees (PAC), and their interaction with the labor movement, state election and financial disclosure law.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Fulltime position; posting closes when position is filled.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume online: https://www.dcjobs.com/j/29635208
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com