Operations Assistant : California
National Union of Healthcare Workers
Based in Glendale, CA
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) is searching for a talented, hard-working individual committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The successful candidate for this position will have office operations experience, excellent organizational and communication skills, and will thrive in a fast-paced setting. She/he/they will be values-driven, self-motivated and resourceful.
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 15,000 mental health clinicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical technicians, clerks, and service workers. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. NUHW is an independent, member-led union, dedicated to improving the lives of healthcare workers and the people we care for. We are building a national movement of caregivers to hold healthcare corporations accountable to the public interest and to win affordable, quality healthcare for all.
The Operations Assistant is:
- Responsible for office maintenance, supplies and equipment
- Handles incoming phone calls, faxes and mail
- Data entry
- Produces general correspondence, memos, letters, flyers, etc.
- Maintains calendar of scheduled meetings and union-wide events
- Coordinates logistics for meetings, public events, and strikes
- Books flights, hotels, and transportation for members and staff
- Assists Communications Department in management of external communication data and lists
- Assists other departments on special projects
- May be assigned additional duties of a similar responsibility and skill level
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Accurate alpha and numeric typing at 50 wpm
- Proficient with Windows computer including creating and maintaining folder/file structures
- Minimum technical skills must include intermediate level in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Knowledge of office operations including telephone communications, office systems, and record keeping
- Experience with or ability to learn office machines such as photocopier and postage machine
- Ability to learn new software as systems are upgraded or changed
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Organizational support experience, including problem resolution
- Ability to meet concurrent deadlines with good attention to details
- Mature and level-headed with good judgment and tact
- Comfortable taking instructions from more than one person
- Willingness to ask questions and offer suggestions to ensure tasks are completed properly
- Challenged by a variety of projects and situations requiring patience and a sense of humor
- Commitment to goals and values of organized labor and social justice
- Ability to sit at a work station for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand, work, and to drive occasionally from one location to another
- Ability to lift and carry up to 35 lbs.
For more information about NUHW, go to our website at www.NUHW.org.
Compensation: $20.50/hour, 30 hours/wk to start, will become 40 hours/wk, employer paid medical and dental benefits for employee and family; life insurance for employee; holidays, sick leave, vacation; HRA and FSA plans; 401(k) with 14% employer contribution.
How to Apply
Email your résumé, cover letter, and 3 professional references to: email@example.com.
Put your beliefs and skills into action. Apply today and be part of making history!
NUHW is committed to staff diversity.
We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com