Union Organizer : Washington
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
Job Position: Union Organizer
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Description: Union organizers work with our members to build and exercise power in the workplace and to advocate for better health care, racial and social justice. We are a fighting union commitment to confronting corporate power in our society. Union organizers also assist non-union workers in building unions in their workplaces.
- Recruitment: Train and support workers to take action, including organizing union drives, serving as advocates, and becoming effective leaders in the workplace.
- Racial Justice: Engage leaders in our fight to promote racial justice and combat white supremacy.
- Mobilization: Motivate and mobilize workers to stand up against injustices in the workplace.
- Lead Meetings: Meet with workers through one-on-one and group meetings, phone calls, and house visits.
- Leadership Development: Identify and develop leadership among workers.
- Legislative and Electoral Work: Recruit volunteers to participate in political, legislative, and issue-oriented campaigns.
- Lead Actions: Plan and lead actions, rallies, events, and strikes.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing skills at work, on campus, or in the community. Experience as a union or community organizer preferred; health care experience a plus.
- Ability to build relationships and work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Bilingual skills a plus.
- Work independently, solve problems, and manage time and priorities effectively.
- Can motivate, inspire and challenge workers and union members to take steps to build power in the workplace and community.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, speaking and written communication skills.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Salary dependent on experience and is set per the collective bargaining agreement with SEIU Healthcare 1199NW staff union contract. Benefits include medical benefits and paid vacation time.
Supervision: Supervised by an officer of the union or designee.
Applicants must submit a current résumé, with references and a cover letter expressing what their commitment and interest in the labor movement is in order to be considered for the position. Résumés and cover letters should be sent to Penny Lowry at: email@example.com
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com