Communications Director : Wisconsin
Voces de la Frontera
Based in Milwaukee, WI
Voces de la Frontera is a national leader in the movement for immigrant and worker rights and the largest grassroots Latinx membership organization in Wisconsin. Led by low-wage immigrant workers and students, Voces works to protect and expand civil rights and workers’ rights through leadership development, community organizing, and collective empowerment. Voces de la Frontera has chapters in Milwaukee, Racine, Madison, Green Bay/Fox Cities, Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Waukesha, Walworth County, Kenosha, and West Bend. Voces’ student arm is called Youth Empowered in the Struggle.
We are seeking a Communications Director to work with members, staff and the Executive Director to develop and implement a strategic communications plan to complement statewide organizing efforts to engage both immigrant and key non-immigrant constituencies to build the fight for justice for working class families and immigrants. This will include online, earned media, and internal communications directed toward members and allies. The position is based in Milwaukee.
- Working with Executive Director and program staff to lead strategic planning process for communications.
- Working with Executive Director and program staff to develop and execute earned media strategies, message framing and talking points around issues for leaders and staff.
- Researching, writing, and preparing media packets for events or background information, reports and presentations.
- Develop press releases and press statements, pitch media for coverage, and follow up with media for events and interviews.
- Monitor and track media outlets including radio, television and newsprint and maintain media database current and archive news coverage.
- Maintain database of media contacts, allies, members, and supporters
- Develop talking points and prepare members and staff for speaking roles at public events and in the press.
- Coordinate graphic design projects with staff and volunteers for flyers, posters, etc. Writing or translating promotional materials.
- Representing Voces in national communications calls and convenings
- Supervise and collaborate with volunteers, interns and part time communications staff.
- Coordinate online efforts to maintain and update website content
- Translation for website and media communications
- Developing action alerts and regular e-updates and ensuring that communications “ripple” out through online tools such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and blogs.
Fundraising & Grant Support
- Working with development staff to write and edit grants and grant reports as needed.
- Commitment to Voces de la Frontera’s values and mission.
- High level of bilingual written and verbal skills in Spanish and English
- Well-organized, self-motivated and able to work independently on multiple projects.
- Working knowledge of necessary computer software for offline and online communications and ability to quickly learn new software.
- Familiarity with website management tools and platforms and experience with database-backed websites.
- Ability to access information and cope with shifting campaign needs efficiently and intelligently.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to working with diverse communities.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Commitment to bold politics and action to expand what’s possible for marginalized communities.
- Knowledge and interest in Wisconsin politics, the national immigrant rights movement, progressive social movements, and the fight for immigrant and worker rights.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits (health, dental, and vision) and generous paid vacation, sick leave, and personal time.
Submit résumé, three professional references and a writing sample of 3 pages or less to Nancy Flores at email@example.com.
Voces de la Frontera is an affirmative action employer. Voces believes that all people are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in any matters on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender identity and presentation, religion or spirituality, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, physical characteristics, marital status, pregnancy or parental status.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com