Organizer – New Mexico Higher Education Project : New Mexico
New Mexico Higher Education Organizing Project
Based in Albuquerque, NM
The New Mexico Higher Education Organizing Project seeks an Organizer who wants to join the fight to preserve and strengthen quality public higher education, academic freedom, faculty and graduate employee working conditions. This project is a joint venture with the American Federation of Teachers and the American Association of University Professors.
These are full-time positions to work on organizing campaigns based in Albuquerque, NM. Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of a campaign including building relationships with workers, developing issues-based organizing plans for assigned areas, and for recruiting and sustaining motivation of members and activists. Union organizing experience preferred.
- Dedicated to social and economic justice, and public education
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours
- Ability to work effectively independently and within a team
- Experience working in community, student, labor, or environmental activism
- Experience in higher education a plus
- Previous union organizing preferred
- Valid driver’s license and automobile in good working order
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and mobilize workers
- Attend daily or weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and plan activities
- One-on-one visits, site visits, meetings, and other interaction with potential members
- Identify and develop new leaders and activists
- Organize and facilitate meetings
- Create communication pieces including flyers, emails and social media
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a daily basis
- Take direction on daily and weekly activities to grow AFT membership and accomplish goals
- Occasional limited travel out-of-state
Applicants must be willing to relocate
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary and benefits
Where to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and résumé at the following link:
Equal Employment Opportunity and all are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com