Maryland Field Organizer : Maryland
Labor Network For Sustainability
Making A Living On A Living Planet
Maryland Field Organizer
The Labor Network for Sustainability (LNS) is seeking an experienced Organizer to work with the Maryland labor movement in developing a labor-friendly climate campaign. This effort will seek to create good-paying, union jobs in multiple sectors and industries that can significantly reduce Maryland’s Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions while building an economy that fosters healthy, sustainable and just communities. The campaign will also involve building relationships across sectors including labor, environment, environmental justice and others.
Goal of LNS Work in MD
Support Maryland labor movement efforts to lead on an economic agenda to confront the climate crisis.
- Develop strategies to advance labor-led policies on climate change and just transition
- Build the base of labor-climate activists in Maryland
- Strengthen relationships between labor and climate allies
Tasks in Year One
- Develop an organizing strategy with MD labor leadership
- Meet one-on-one with labor representatives – unions, worker centers and labor support organizations
- Meet with Climate and Climate justice allies
- Work with labor leadership to identify policy objectives.
- Convene strategy and informational meetings as necessary.
- Conduct educational sessions for the labor movement on climate change
- Support environmental and environmental justice allies in developing effective strategies to engage labor and vice versa
- Participate in meetings and public events as necessary to advance the goals and objectives of this work.
- Organizing experience – at least 3 years experience with organizing campaigns.
- Familiar with labor policy, climate policy, environmental justice and social justice issues.
- Project coordination skills (including working with staff in other locations).
- Experience with communication and social media for campaigns.
- Excellent written communications skills; attention to detail and accuracy.
- Organizer – someone who can organize collectives to think and act together – support and develop leadership. Experience with the labor movement important but not essential.
- Self-starter – someone is solution- oriented who can develop and implement work plans without constant guidance by supervisors.
- Bridge builder – good listener who can build consensus but also maintain unity despite political differences.
- Critical thinker – who can provide analysis and take initiative to provide lead thinking.
- Good student – someone who is willing to learn and appreciates the experience of the LNS team and those s(he) is organizing with.
- Team player – works well with others and contributes to the overall body of LNS’ work.
- Accountable – someone who follows through, acknowledges mistakes and constantly works to improve.
- Ability to travel – this is a statewide position that will require flexibility in personal schedules to meet with people in person throughout the state as needed. LNS is a national organization and travel to LNS-related events in other states is also possible.
$50k-$60k annually – commensurate with level of experience and availability of funds.
LNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds and challenging patterns of political marginalization and oppression. People of Color, working-class people, differently-abled people and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please send a brief cover letter, résumé, salary requirements and three to five references to email@example.com. Please include the words “MD ORGANIZER” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter why you are interested in this position, your familiarity with community or labor organizing, a description of your campaign leadership experience and other qualifications for the position. Please send your application as either a Word doc or PDF. Start date TBD.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com