REAP Tenant Outreach and Education : California
Strategic Actions for a Just Economy
REAP Tenant Outreach and Education
Based in Los Angeles, CA
The REAP Tenant Outreach and Education worker will conduct outreach to tenants of properties throughout the city of LA that have been referred to REAP (Rent Escrow Account Program). The worker will canvass tenants at their homes and facilitate meetings as needed to inform tenants about their rights and responsibilities under REAP and under RSO generally. The worker will also field landlord questions in-person, and via phone and email. The worker will maintain accurate and complete records documenting all of their activities and will liaise with LA’s Housing and Community Investment Department (HCID) for coordination and evaluation of all program activities. In some cases the worker may conduct separate work related to SAJE projects that do not conflict with the duties and limitations of REAP as defined by HCID. The worker may supervise interns and other workers who support tenant outreach and education efforts related to REAP. The REAP Tenant Outreach and Education worker will work with the Program Coordinator on the administrative aspects of REAP and will report to the Executive Director.
- Performing Outreach to Tenants in Rental Units with Significant Housing Code Violations:
- driving to REAP properties to all neighborhoods in the city.
- educating tenants regarding their rights and encouraging them to pay their reduced rent into REAP
- door-to-door canvassing work.
- organizing and facilitating building meetings and providing ongoing support to tenant associations.
- c) preparing and distributing meeting notices, agendas, educational materials.
- meeting and interacting with landlords
- Administration and record keeping:
- helping to design educational materials.
- participating in formal training workshop.
- assisting tenants with accessing local resources and legal assistance.
- Enter data on an online data system.
- preparing reports on work perform
- maintaining and updating files.
Required (If you don’t have ALL of the first five qualifications, please don’t apply):
- MUST have the ability to communicate and write in English and Spanish at a proficient professional level. (Do Not Apply if you do not have these skills and abilities)
- Good writing, speaking and research skills.
- A valid driver’s California license, insurance and a dependable car is an absolute requirement.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends. (On some occasions work will require irregular and long hours).
- MUST be able to maintain accurate records and have the ability to write timely, required reports on work.
- Experience in building tenant, community or labor organizations.
- Experience in and commitment to community activism.
- Working knowledge of word-processing and basic computer graphics.
- Knowledge of landlord/tenant law and housing issues.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Depends on experience, plus medical, vision and dental insurance.
Email cover letter, résumé, and 2 references to email@example.com.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com