Field Representative / Organizer : Maryland
Field Representative / Organizer
UFCW Local 1994 was founded in 1993. We are 8,000 strong and growing. We are seeking an energetic, hard-working individual to join our team as a Field Representative/Organizer.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Associate Coordinator of Field Services, this position is responsible for developing worksite activist and leadership structures; handling grievances, recruiting new members; supporting members in exercising political power and participating in political campaigns. Also responsible for organizing new groups of workers interested in union representation. Responsible for preparing work plans, calendars, files, reports, and other records. Not a “9 to 5” job. Will be required to work evenings and weekends when necessary and must be available for out of town assignments when required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Recruitment: Work with union leadership and stewards to engage members in union activities and political campaigns. Regular one-on-one contact with members will be required.
- Leadership Development: Construct worksite leadership structures through the recruitment, training, and support of stewards and other union leaders.
- Communication: Develop relationships with members in assigned jurisdictions through personal visits, flyers, newsletters, phone calls, mailings, bulletin board postings, and meetings.
- Representation: Interpret collective bargaining agreements and other relevant laws, codes, regulations, policies, and practices and assist union members in understanding their rights. Provide assertive and prepared advocacy, handle grievances, appeals, requests for hearings, and other formal personnel matters on behalf of union members. Aid attorneys and other union staff in the preparation of hearings, including investigation and preparation of witnesses and exhibits. Assist union members in achieving informal resolutions of work-related problems.
- Issue Campaigns: Mobilize members to participate in worksite actions as needed, including petitions, group grievances, protests, media events, and legal actions.
- Legislative and Electoral Campaigns: Participate in and recruit members to participate in legislative and electoral campaign activities, including lobbying, phone banking, letter-writing, door-to-door canvassing, and other activities.
- Administration: Maintain a calendar which accurately documents past, present, and future activities, visits, and appointments in connection with work as a field representative. Maintain accurate files, as required by Supervisor.
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- High-level ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills necessary to interpret contract language, investigate and process grievances, and prepare contract proposals.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision; must be well organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to think strategically, exercise good judgment and prioritize demands.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
- Ability to make effective use of resources available to the union.
- Ability to work effectively with members, staff and mangers from diverse ethnic, and social backgrounds.
- Ability to work with community coalitions and other institutional partners.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in union or community organizing and employee advocacy. Related experience will be given consideration. Bilingual skills are preferred, but not mandatory.
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in labor relations or related field; must be proficient in Microsoft office; must have a valid driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving; must possess an automobile for business use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The current starting salary range is $45,000 – $50,000 based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefit package to include paid annual and sick leave, paid holidays, healthcare, dental benefits and retirement plan.
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and résumé with Field Representative/Organizer in the subject line when applying for this position to email@example.com. Cover letter should include a brief explanation of how your skills and experience make you a strong candidate for the Field Representative/Organizer position. Please no phone calls.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
UFCW Local 1994 encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1994 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com