Campaign Director : New York
Based in New York City, NY
We are currently recruiting a Campaign Director position, for the Transform Don’t Trash Campaign.
ALIGN seeks a talented, motivated, and dedicated person to join our team as Campaign Director for the Transform Don’t Trash NYC campaign. This position will help lead an exciting campaign in New York City to transform the commercial waste industry by reducing truck miles and pollution, increasing recycling, and improving workplace conditions.
Private business generates over 2 million tons of waste each year that is disproportionately processed in low income and communities of color. Little waste is recycled and diverted from landfills. The industry employs over 4,000 truck carters and 1,500 transfer station sorters who face some of the most dangerous and low-wage conditions in New York City. Transform Don’t Trash NYC unites labor, community, and environmental justice organizations to reduce pollution, foster cleaner and healthier communities for all New Yorkers, lift thousands of waste industry workers and their families out of poverty, and create new, quality jobs in recycling and recycling-reliant industries.
The person will engage in community-coalition building, worker organizing, developing strategy, and coordinating mobilizations. In working across New York City, the person will be expected to travel frequently across the five boroughs and work intensely to advance a challenging project.
The Campaign Director will report to the Executive Director and is responsible for:
- Campaign Development & Coordination: Lead the development and strategy of New York City’s campaign to transform the commercial waste sector, which will involve extensive campaign visioning, planning and strategy development done in conjunction with labor, community, and environmental allies. With a strong strategic plan, the organizer will help lead the labor, environmental, community coalition through the plan and adapt effectively.
- Coalition-Building: Build powerful coalitions with a diverse set of partners, including labor unions, environmental organizations, community groups, elected officials, etc., and coordinate with coalition partners through weekly and quarterly meetings; build the leadership and mobilization capacity of community and labor allies, and deepen the city’s community-labor-environmental network.
- Policy Advocacy: Drive political organizing strategy to achieve policy demands, coordinate research and policy staff behind organizing campaign, direct coalition members and activist mobilization, and maintain and marshal institutional engagement through coalition meetings and calls.
- Activist Base: Strengthen and grow our organization and the movement by developing and managing initiatives to support grassroots leadership, engagement and development in our coalition work; maintain individual activism and institutional engagement within our organization during and between campaigns.
- Organizational Leadership & Development: Engage actively in the leadership team by contributing to organizational vision, strategic planning, fundraising, and staff development as well as being a leader for the organization in the NYC movement, within our state alliance and among national networks.
- A commitment to social and economic justice and the labor movement
- At least 5 years of organizing experience in labor, community, student, political organizations or campaigns
- 3 years proven lead-level organizing experience is strongly preferred
- Strong coalition building and facilitation skills across a diverse set organizations and constituents
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion and supervise junior staff
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, collaborate as part of a team, work in a deadline-driven environment
- Strategic judgment, flexibility, creativity, and initiative
- Willingness to work long hours, evenings and weekends when necessary
Terms of Employment: The Campaign Director is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy which accompanies this job description.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with “Campaign Director” in the subject of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
ALIGN is a longstanding alliance of labor and community organizations united for a just and sustainable New York. Our unique model combines coalition building, strategic communications, and policy creation.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com