Systemwide Supervisor for Southern California : California
University Professional &Technical Employees
CWA Local 9119
Systemwide Supervisor for Southern California
Southern California (Los Angeles Area)
UPTE, CWA Local 9119 is a member-run union representing workers at the University of California, 3 Department of Energy Labs and 3 California Community Colleges.
Job Title: Systemwide Supervisor for Southern California
Classification: Exempt, Supervisory, Non-Represented, At-Will
Status: Full-time, Salaried with Benefits
Reports to: UPTE Leadership
Supervises: Leadership Development Coordinators
Location: Los Angeles, and other locations in Southern California
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take direction from UPTE leadership on daily and weekly activities and campaigns to grow and engage UPTE members and potential members on key contract, political and legislative fights.
- Work with UPTE leadership to translate current initiatives into meaningful engagement opportunities for UPTE members;
- Attend weekly meetings with leadership to discuss progress and make plans;
- Manage field campaign and LDCs, developing and implementing a sustainable model for membership leadership development, education and engagement on key fights of the union.
- Communicate objectives, develop strategic plans and goals
- Develop and implement support plans for performance improvement
- Performance manage and progressive discipline in conjunction with UPTE leadership when deemed necessary
- Field visits and support for LDCs on their campuses
- Create and manage field campaign materials
- Track membership engagement metrics as key performance indicators;
- Develop and implement training programs,
- Provide support for campus, regional, and statewide planning, assessment and implementation, manage contact lists, manage field calls;
- Identify and develop leadership roles for UPTE activists
- Strong commitment to the labor movement;
- Minimum of 5 years leading organizing campaigns (can be new organizing, federal and state issue or electoral campaigns;)
- Extensive experience working with, building and sustaining a diverse coalition of membership groups;
- Familiarity and experience working with private public-sector unions is preferred;
- Understand the demographics, motivations, expectations and needs of UPTE’s membership and tailoring strategies to match;
- Experience developing, reading, and interpreting metrics for grassroots activists;
- Possess relationships with organizations in progressive community;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills;
- Be a highly organized project manager.
- Experience managing employees is preferred;
- Proficient in computer, database, email and MS suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Advanced computer skills, database, and expert ability to create fully functional excel spreadsheets and familiar with organizing and analyzing large sets of data is highly desirable.
- In coordination with the UPTE leadership, determines subordinates’ performance ratings;
- Under the direction of the UPTE President/Leadership and in coordination with campus locals and HR Director; in accordance with the UPTE-US collective bargaining agreement, evaluate, recommend, and implement disciplinary actions; and, formulates and recommends a resolution to grievances or complaints.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Broad knowledge of organization processes, protocols and procedures with a focus on general management; personnel management of labour contract(s) and personnel policy.
- Broad knowledge of common computer application programs.
- Proven ability to organize department work functions in an efficient and effective manner.
- Skills to work collaboratively with other departments.
- Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills to effectively lead and motivate others.
- Proven skills to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Skills in organization and customer service to effectively manage multiple important priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to influence/persuade all levels of staff.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively motivate others.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com.
Please state the reason you are applying for the Systemwide Supervisor LA position, and why you would be a good fit for the position and UPTE.
Job Type: Full-time
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com