Port Dispatcher – Offshore Port of San Francisco/Oakland : California
Offshore Port of San Francisco/Oakland
Based in the Offshore Port Office – Oakland, CA
Title: Port Dispatcher – Offshore Port of San Francisco/Oakland
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Location: Offshore Port Office – Oakland, CA
Offshore Port Offices provide service to Members shipping from the Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific Ports. There are a total of 11 Port Offices which provide Members with services in accordance with MM&P Shipping and Work Rules. The services provided include but are not limited to job call registration, taking membership applications, receiving dues payments, and processing applications for vacation and Port Relief Officer (PRO) pay. Port Offices also provide information concerning class offerings at the Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies (MITAGS), Health & Benefit and Pension Plan information received from the Plans office, MM&P Federal Credit Union updates, Political Contribution Fund (PCF) updates, membership meetings and other related Union matters.
Port Dispatchers work under the direction of an Offshore Vice President and the Coast Agent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a Job Board of available Offshore positions aboard ships. Liaison with Companies who provide information necessary for job postings: documentation requirements, type of license, duration of job and rate of pay.
- Process Time Sheets for PRO pay and issues checks for individuals working on ships while in port. PRO jobs are posted on the Job Board. Companies will post jobs through the Labor Power Computer system including ETA and Estimated departure time of vessels.
- Perform job call every day in accordance with the Offshore Shipping Rules.
- Issue a dispatch sheet to individuals selected for a job after entering registration data in the Offshore Assignment screen of the Port System. Scan and send any required personnel documentation requested by the Company. The Company will inform the Port Representative whether the individual needs an updated physical at the time of dispatch.
- Receive applications for vacation pay from Members who have completed job assignments. Verify Certificate(s) of Discharge and pay stubs if applicable. Enter registration number, return to work date and last discharge date in the Port System. Print registration card and vacation check; outstanding dues balances must be paid before a vacation check is issued.
- Inform Members of the option to make voluntary contributions to the PCF. When members opt to have a PCF contribution deducted from their vacation pay, issue receipts and send copies to the Accounting Office at Headquarters.
- Members can elect to have their dues subtracted from their vacation check, pay by personal check or pay online by credit card. Issue dues receipt if dues are collected in the office, enter payments in the Port System, forward checks to bank lockbox and send deposit reports to Accounts Receivable Clerk at Headquarters.
- Maintains separate record of all PRO and Offshore job orders for the year.
- Process new Member applications, collect initial pro-rated dues and initiation fee. Direct prospective Members to MM&P website for a list of required documents needed with application. Ensure that application packet contains all documents, including copies of course certificates. Contact the Accounting Office at Headquarters to start a record in the Port System. Forward new member packet to the Membership Secretary at Headquarters.
- Maintain orderly and up to date membership information Bulletin Board: information regarding member meetings, M.I.T.A.G.S class offerings and deadlines, health & benefit and pension plan changes, PCF campaigns, and the Credit Union should be posted in the common areas of the Office.
- Participate in the Organization’s yearly reporting to the Department of Labor and Joint Employment Commission (JEC) calculations by filling out the LM-2 and JEC timesheets upon request.
- Purchase office supplies and maintain general inventory of office assets.
- Performs other general duties as requested.
Requirements and Skills:
- Proficiency with Microsoft office.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding oral and written communications.
- Ability to communicate with Companies, Members/Applicants in a professional manner.
- Ability to enter data in automated Port System.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Shipping/Work Rules and documentation needed to join MM&P.
- Ability to operate multi-use copiers, printers, scanners and fax machine.
- Ability to multi-task during converging deadlines and activities.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years general office experience.
- Knowledge of Maritime industry and Merchant Mariner Credential a plus.
- Pre-employment background screening.
TO APPLY SUBMIT RESUME TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com