Field Assistant II – WEA Eastern : Washington
Washington Education Association
Field Assistant II
Based in Spokane, WA
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position shown below. A job description and application is included on the following pages. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for the position the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- Three (3) professional letters of reference
Washington Education Association application forms are required and may be obtained by selecting Online Application at the end of this page. Applications also may be obtained at the Washington Education Association located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way South, Federal Way, WA 98001, or by calling Human Resources at 1-800-622-3393 extension 7002.
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application form and letters of reference is on or before November 2, 2018.
If you do not submit your application online (preferred method), please send or email your application materials to:
Washington Education Association
Attn: Karen Knight / HR Generalist
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
(253) 765-7002 (Direct)
(253) 946-4726 (Fax)
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Field Assistant II – WEA Eastern – Spokane, WA
Location and Demographics: The WEA Eastern UniServ Council is located at 230 E. Montgomery Ave. in Spokane, Washington. The Council is one of 21 councils in the state and serves approximately 4700 public school employees working in the largest geographic region of the state. The Council includes eight counties which border Canada to the north and Idaho to the east, as well as counties south and west of Spokane towards Pullman and Grand Coulee.
Council Description: WEA-Eastern employs three full-time UniServ Representatives and two Associate Staff. The Council has a full-time release Council President who works with elected leaders within the region. The Council represents 59 affiliated local associations and 11 at-large locals.
Job Summary and Essential Job Functions
The Field Assistant serves as a receptionist and primarily performs clerical duties in support of council activities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Greet visitors and direct phone calls
- Assist with coordinating meetings/trainings; first point of contact for questions
- Format/produce training email blasts and manage events
- Accurately/efficiently enter and audit monthly ESP membership records
- Produce reports and materials from computer records and documents
- Compile and maintain various databases and working files
- Maintain all association bargaining contracts – electronic and paper versions
- Maintain and regularly update Council web page
- Assist members and staff with problems; research questions and provide information and materials when necessary
- Assist with maintaining office equipment
- Attend Council events and meetings when necessary
- Maintain the main office master calendar and other Outlook calendars
- Assist with setup/cleanup of rooms for meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Attendance, punctuality, a positive attitude and an ability to demonstrate grace under pressure are crucial in accomplishing the ongoing job functions of this position. Strong interpersonal skills are a must! This position is covered under the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Two years secretarial or equivalent experience
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm using PC word processing software
- Proficient at PC compatible programs, i.e., Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Publisher
- Experience with database software
- Proficient with web page and desktop publishing software
- Demonstrated secretarial skills including word processing, filing, proofreading, document retrieval, creating spreadsheets and screening calls
- Ability to generate documents and data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to compose, draft, edit, proof and produce quality professional correspondence
- Ability to learn membership data system (NEA360) requiring strong familiarity with database systems used to track detailed information; ability to generate database reports based on user requests; ability to understand how data is used in the decision-making process
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience in dealing with members
- Proven success in building and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships with diverse individuals – internally and externally
- Self-starter with demonstrated initiative and flexibility with changing priorities
- Well-organized with attention to detail; ability to effectively prioritize work
- Pleasant, clear telephone voice and ability to enunciate and pronounce words clearly to be understood over the phone
- Ability to keep client information confidential
- Ability to confront and resolve conflict constructively
- Ability to relate in a positive, diplomatic and patient manner
- Ability to understand the relevance and importance of diversity and inclusion both internally and externally, and the impact that a diverse workforce has on creativity and innovation
- Must support and help advance the WEA mission, goal, core values and priorities
Preferred Job Requirements
- Experience with meeting, conference and/or event planning
- Experience with mail merge
- Experience with accessing and use of the Internet and electronic communications
- Experience in public education, unions or related employment
Salary Range and Benefits
Monthly salary range:
- Level II (B) – $3,606 to $5,335/mo.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Generous Sick and Paid Time Off (PTO) leaves
- Long-term Disability
- Defined Benefit Plan
- Defined Contribution Plan (w/employer contribution)
- Position covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application Procedure and References
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including résumé, cover letter and three (3) professional letters of reference from associates who have professional knowledge of the applicant’s background and work experience, must be received on or before November 2, 2018. Use of the online application process is encouraged.
Important Note: When submitting your application materials online, select “Save as Draft” until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded – i.e., cover letter, résumé and three professional references. This will ensure your application materials remain together as a single submission. Please submit your application materials online by following the link below.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com