Executive Director : Texas
AFSCME Texas Corrections Organizing Council
Based in Huntsville, TX
The AFSCME TX Corrections Organizing Council, the largest union representing Texas state correctional employees, is now accepting applications for an Executive Director.
The Executive Director will oversee a growing, activist Council that is currently in Organizing Committee status. The ED will report to the Council’s Administrator. The ED will be responsible for the day to day operation of the Council, overseeing the work of the staff and ensuring the success of operations. The ED will also coordinate organizing around legislative sessions and help to build productive relationships with TDCJ management.
The ED will also negotiate for management with the staff union.
- Overseeing the finances of the Council.
- Overseeing the work of the Office Manager in day to day operations.
- Overseeing the work of the Organizing Director to conduct worksite actions as well as worker mobilizations for political organizing.
- Overseeing the work of the Organizing Director in ensuring the success of a vibrant volunteer member organizing and steward program.
- Ensuring the successful development of the Council’s representation program.
- Ensuring the successful development of the Council’s political program including the development of member political organizers.
- Staffing the Strategic Planning Committee and other key committees in preparation for coming out of Organizing Committee status.
- Working with the Organizing Director to develop on-going, ambitious statewide strategic plans with clear benchmarks.
- Establishing strong communications between local leaders to develop their ownership of the Council program.
- Overseeing the development of a successful communications program that dovetails with key member issues such as training, staffing, equipment, mandatory overtime, etc.
- Overseeing the maintenance of a strong membership and organizing database. Ensuring continuing training for staff and member leaders on the organizing database (VAN).
Experience and Skills Required
- Experience of at least 1 year as a full-time, professional staff organizer.
- Experience of at least 3-5 years as a member and/or staff leader of a local union, creating a budget and managing a local union.
- Experience either as a correctional employee and/or as organizing staff to a correctional employee union.
- Proficient in all aspects of organizing including leader identification and development; charting; Organizing Committee development; and writing effective organizing plans.
- Proven track record in growing a local union’s membership.
- Proficient in conflict resolution and building high functioning teams that get results.
- Track record of training and developing stewards to handle representation.
- Proficient in developing persuasive written and graphic documents.
- Supportive of the AFSCME mission and work attitude
Physical Requirements (as required by the ADA)
Work is performed in a variety of employment settings including workers’ homes, neighborhoods, and worksites. Driving, travel (including overnight stays), temporary assignments away from home, and extended work hours including weekends are required. Valid driver’s license and insurance are required.
Education and Experience Required
High school diploma or equivalent with 3-5 years of relevant organizing and field rep experience.
Please email cover letter, résumé, and names of three to five references to email@example.com. Use Council ED as the Subject line. We will begin reviewing applications on November 26 and will continue to review applications until the position is filled.
AFSCME TX Corrections is proud to be an Affirmative Action/EEO Employer.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com