HEAT Organizing Intern : New York
HEAT Organizing Intern
Covering New Jersey / New York
We have built a rank-and-file leadership structure called the Hotel Employees Action Team (H.E.A.T.) System. The purpose of the H.E.A.T. System is to increase the participation of the membership in the union and to greatly enhance the union’s ability to mobilize our members for large-scale action, in order to organize non-union workers, to fight for higher wages and better benefits, and to increase the rights of hotel workers.
We are seeking to hire a number of energetic, intelligent and dedicated individuals to work as Interns in support of these goals under the supervision and direction of a H.E.A.T. System Supervisor. They will have the opportunity to work directly with the union membership, learn internal union organizing first-hand, and gain exposure to a powerful and effective local labor union. We look to hire the best of the best and so are always accepting applications on a rolling basis for this position.
Qualifications for Organizing Intern:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Ability to motivate and inspire others
- Willingness to handle a wide range of dynamic responsibilities
- Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently
- Ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater responsibility
- Thorough attention to details
- Willingness to work hard and put in long hours when necessary
- Reliability, and a cooperative attitude
- Experience not needed
Extra consideration will be given for the following additional qualifications:
- Ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively
- Bilingual, especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian or Polish
- Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, or other service industries
Areas of Responsibility include (but not limited to):
- Recruitment and training of rank-and-file leaders (H.E.A.T. Captains and Network Leaders)
- Member outreach and mobilization
- Information management and tracking that provides the department with valuable tools for organizing
- Preparation of written communications to rank-and-file leaders and members, and the public
- General support for field operations and campaigns
- Logistical support for a wide variety of union events, including strikes and picket lines
- Boycott research
This internship offers the possibility of permanent employment. Resourceful and committed interns who distinguish themselves will have numerous opportunities for interesting and rewarding work.
Interns will be paid a stipend of $15 per hour, with overtime pay. The union will sponsor students for academic credit when applicable
H.E.A.T. intern applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis. Specific start and end dates will be determined based on the union’s need and each intern’s availability.
In addition to a résumé and references, applicants must include a cover letter. The cover letter should be clear and concise and explain which position you are applying for, the specific reasons for your interest in the position, and specify (with appropriate explanation) which of each of the listed qualifications you possess and which ones you do not possess.
Please refer to individual job postings for any additional application materials that may be required or recommended. The cover letter, résumé, references and additional materials should be emailed to:
The New York Hotel Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com