Director of Internal Organizing : Massachusetts
SEIU Local 888
Director of Internal Organizing
Based in Braintree, MA
Be a part of a movement that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of public service jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
SEIU Local 888, a statewide union of public service workers uniting more than 8,500 members in Massachusetts is looking for a committed person to lead our Internal Organizing team.
The Director of Internal Organizing provides day-to-day supervision of Local 888’s Internal Organizers; performs representational work in key chapters as needed; trouble shoots difficult issues and advises and supports Internal Organizers with their work.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Transform Local 888 from a “service union model” to a “member-led organizing model” that builds hundreds of worker leaders and a militant, worker-run, rank-and-file union
- Work with field staff and chapter leaders on the transformation of their roles and responsibilities in an open shop environment
- Develop strategies that build members’ power to set standards for their industry or job title
- Work with field staff and chapter leaders to achieve contract “hallmarks” (i.e. new member orientation, union leave, electronic records etc.) established by Local 888’s Executive Board
- Oversee member-led contract campaigns and coordinate with other Local 888 departments (membership services, politics, organizing, and admin) for effective campaigns
- Work with legal department and field staff as needed on matters of contract interpretation, identifying merits of potential arbitration cases and unfair labor practice claims
- Provide day-to-day supervision of field staff; authorizing expenses and reviewing personnel decisions
- Ensure that field staff are developing leadership structures that are self-sustaining within chapters
- Lead or assist with contract negotiations, ensure that field staff are working with diverse and representative member-led negotiating committees
- Lead members into struggle so they learn firsthand the power of collective action
- Minimum of five years prior experience in the labor movement
- Contract negotiation experience required
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience required
- Prior supervisory and training experience required
- Display sound organizational skills to work independently and balance conflicting demands successfully
- Ability to motivate staff and members to participate in union activities/programs
- Identify and develop leaders
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive, maintain a productive attitude, and take initiative
- Ability to establish and cultivate respectful working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, including members and other staff
- Strong competency with word processing, email, internet, databases, etc.
- Bilingual skills preferred
- May be required to work long and irregular hours, at times work on weekends and holidays and to travel as needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable functioning automobile.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package: 100% company paid health and dental, pension, 401K and generous time off.
Please send a cover letter, résumé and a writing sample to email@example.com.
SEIU Local 888 is an Equal Opportunity Employer
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com