Lead Organizer – Reports to the National Office : Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU), AFL-CIO
80 Eighth Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10011
Reports to the National Office
Based in the North-East Region
This position reports to the director of organizing. The Lead Organizer will be responsible for a wide array of organizing activities including conducting and developing internal and external organizing campaigns; planning strategic campaigns; developing leaders and apprentice organizers; providing support and guidance to local unions; conducting basic industry and campaign specific research; developing organizing targets; and coordinating organizing staff on large campaigns. The primary focus will be on external organizing. The position can be based in a major hub of the North-East Region of the United States.
- Assist local unions to develop appropriate new organizing targets and campaign plans, with goals, strategies, and resources needed to execute the plans
- Oversee and direct comprehensive organizing campaigns, primarily external organizing
- Provide day-to-day guidance, training and leadership development to apprentice organizers and other organizing staff
- Conduct basic industry and campaign specific research
- Write, design and produce quality campaign leaflets and other materials
- Manage lists, Access database, assessments, charts and other campaign tools
- Encourage and participate in coalitions with other unions, CLCs, faith, racial and social justice groups
- Conduct and coordinate home visits, phone calls, site visits and other 1:1 outreach to build membership, support leaders and further the goals of the campaign
- Submit a detailed report each week to the director of organizing demonstrating activities
- Provide training and education as requested
Qualifications and Requirements
- At least 5 years of organizing experience with progressive campaign responsibilities and demonstrated success in new organizing campaigns—experience in healthcare organizing preferred
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work with the NLRB and other regulatory entities for representation elections, Unfair Labor Practice charges and other proceedings
- Ability to train, mentor and direct apprentice organizing staff
- Experience with community campaigns, strikes and other forms of concerted activity
- Ability to establish and maintain credibility with diverse demographic groups, and with professional, technical, administrative and service workers
- Ability to provide detailed campaign summaries and assessments
- Proficiency in producing campaign fliers and materials
- Demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and social justice
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills and proficiency with basic programs such as Access and Word
- Car, insurance and driver’s license required
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and irregular hours
Highly competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
All interested applicants must apply by submitting résumé to: email@example.com.
OPEIU is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com