Community Liaison – Reconnecting McDowell : West Virginia
Based in West Virginia
(priority given to McDowell County residents)
Overview: Reconnecting McDowell (“RM”) is a comprehensive, long-term effort to make educational improvement in McDowell County the route to a brighter economic future. Convened by the American Federation of Teachers, partners from business, foundations, government, nonprofit agencies and labor have committed to seeking solutions to McDowell County West Virginia’s complex problems—poverty, underperforming schools, drug and alcohol abuse, housing shortages, limited medical services, and inadequate access to technology and transportation.
Position Description: The Community Liaison serves as a key point of contact for McDowell County residents and community organizations. The Liaison also interfaces with RM’s organizational partners, specifically those connected to school improvement and health. This position is responsible for interfacing with existing partners, in the collaboration and development of community schools across the county. The position is responsible for coordinating professional development and working with other organizations to provide training. The position also will convene and facilitate committee work with our partners to develop strategies to increase health and mental well-being. The position will also work with the school community provide additional learning opportunities for McDowell school system’s students.
Key Expectations & Deliverables
- Represent RM in the County, attending town hall and community meetings, interfacing with residents, elected officials, County-serving organizations, and RM partners, and engaging in other activities to highlight the work of RM and its partners.
- Oversee community schools development with RM’s partners partnership work, with the goal of implementing community schools county-wide. ·Maintain a strong focus on collaborating with District administrators, community partners, and educators to plan and develop community schools across the county, building on the existing framework.
- Work with the local teachers, union leader, and District administrators to support professional development needs, leveraging the WV AFT’s professional development program offerings.
- Work with AFT WV and community partners to increase teacher/school engagement in community schools planning/development.
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations, understanding the work of the partners, and seeking opportunities for RM and the partners to work together.
- Lead special projects, as assigned.
- Assist with grant writing, and partner support at biennial Partner meetings.
The successful candidate is an experienced professional, with demonstrated, successful project management experience. Experience with community schools is a plus. Creative and innovative thinker with great interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work cooperatively in a team environment. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including social media. Some travel required. This position is located in West Virginia and priority will be given to McDowell County residents. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Send your résumé and a one-page cover letter that highlights relevant qualifications to Jamie Richards at ReconnectingMcDowell@AFT.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com