Communications Specialist (full-time) : New York
Jobs to Move America
Based in New York City, NY
Communications Specialist (full-time)
Location: New York
Deadline to apply: until filled
Start date: As early as November 1, 2018
About the position:
We are looking for a talented communicator with a commitment to social justice to help establish a multi-channel communications strategy in New York, Illinois, California and other JMA campaign areas around the country. We are especially looking for someone to grow our digital media presence and take the lead on developing our website. The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director.
About Jobs to Move America
Jobs to Move America is a national organization working to fight for good jobs, a cleaner environment, a diverse workforce, and a more prosperous economy for everyone in our community, whether they are black, brown or white. We work with seven national and international unions, as well as the AFL-CIO. We have built coalitions with community, faith, workforce development and civil rights organizations across the country.
- Agency-wide communications
- Work with Communications Director to develop agency-wide strategic communications plan
- Work with Communications Director to help with rebranding and website redesign
- Draft and write press releases, talking points, op-eds, and media advisories
- Work with JMA staff to develop an editorial calendar that includes potential op-eds, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
- Website, email and digital media
- Help maintain JMA website and manage JMA social media outlets
- Build and format landing pages
- Draft, edit and release monthly newsletter
- Build up email lists on national and regional levels
- Build and maintain email lists on MailChimp
- Comply with CAN-SPAM guidelines and help to govern email list recipients
- Develop and manage paid advertising on Facebook, Google, and Twitter through effective targeting.
- Media relations
- Monitor press coverage of JMA, its partners and issues impacting our work.
- Develop media outreach plan in New York
- Cultivate relationships with local and national reporters
- Campaign Communications
- Coordinate day-to-day email campaign execution, including planning, targeting, set-up, testing, execution, reporting and optimization
- Execute various email campaigns, including the template designs, calls-to-action, etc.
- Develop content, edit and manage design for campaign materials talking points, fact sheets, reports, pamphlets, brochures, flyers, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of JMA, and strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
- Undergraduate degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field and/or 2-4 years communications, marketing, social media, journalism or public relations experience
- Communications experience with political advocacy campaigns, nonprofits, in labor movement, or political, community organizing, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics, craft persuasive messages
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, and Google Ads
- Exceptional writing and excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, and high-pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a distributed team and coalition.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, driven to succeed
- Ability to travel
- Graphic design and web content skills
- Experience creating and following daily, weekly, and quarterly workplans.
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadline
Compensation: 50k-57k DOE. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, 401k plan, transit passes and generous time off.
To apply: E-mail a cover letter, résumé, sample of three work samples (press releases, blog posts, communications strategies, etc. Prefer web links if possible) in one PDF or Word document to email@example.com with the subject “Job Application: Communications Specialist.” No phone calls please.
JMA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com