Business Agent : Pennsylvania
Based in Southcentral, PA
About SEIU Local 668
SEIU Local 668 has over 19,000 public services workers across Pennsylvania and is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the nation’s fastest growing labor organization with more than 2.1 million members nationwide. SEIU is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building the power of workers, and engaging in community and social issues. Our membership is comprised of over 9,000 state workers and over 9,000 local unit workers (county workers, 911, juvenile detention, children and youth, mental health/mental retardation, clerical, prisons, etc.).
This is a professional position servicing Local and State Unit Shops in Eastern Pennsylvania (Currently Dauphin and York Counties). The Business Agent is a front-line leader- representative of the union in the Union’s relationship with its members, stewards, officers, other unions, employers and outside entities. This position reports directly to the President and/or Staff Director.
- Negotiations – The Business Agent serves as the chief negotiator for shops in the private and public sector. Must have knowledge of applicable bargaining laws, and an understanding of normal practices. Conducts contract surveys and develops budgets for each contract. Possess the skills to analyze situations, synthesize information and determine the appropriate bargaining strategies and tactics.
- Contract Administration and Enforcement – The Business Agent is responsible for all aspects of contract administration and enforcement. These include assisting stewards and members with grievances where violations of the contract are alleged; researching and developing all aspects of arbitration cases, including serving as the advocate in the arbitration hearing and preparing the post hearing brief; and investigates and files unfair labor practice charges when warranted, serving as the union advocate during the hearing.
- Internal Organizing – Organizing the organized is a fundamental responsibility. The Business Agent assists shop stewards and members within a shop to organize bargaining unit employees to become union members, increasing their power in relationship to management. Assists members to identify issues and assists them in developing strategies to deal effectively with those issues.
- Member Engagement – Helping members to become involved or more involved are essential components in our efforts to build power in the communities where our members live. The Business Agent maintains contact with community groups and other labor organizations in a variety of settings; developing relationships with the community, labor and political leaders.
- Training – The Business Agent educates stewards and other member leaders through training in areas of filing grievances, representational issues, political campaigns, and internal organizing.
- Performs other related duties within the union as required.
- Four year college degree preferred, legal experience highly desirable, and/or extensive union experience (arbitrations, ULP’s, negotiations).
- A strong commitment to social justice and to the goals and principles of the union.
- Effective verbal, written and listening communications skills.
- Problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment.
- Heavy travel, weekend and evening work required and the possession of a valid driver’s license.
Salary: $59,699.38 plus a generous benefit package.
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Resumes is December 14, 2017
SEIU Local 668 is an Equal Opportunity Employer
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com