External Field Coordinator – Justice for Janitors : California
External Field Coordinator
Justice for Janitors
Based in Oakland, San Jose, or Los Angeles, CA
Lead Aggressive Field Campaign organizing non-union Janitors throughout CA
The Service Employees International Union is the nation’s fastest growing labor organization with over 2 million members. SEIU is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building the power in low income communities of color to fight on major social justice issues such as the Fight for $15, income inequality and immigration.
The Property Services Division of SEIU is home to the Airport Workers United, Justice for Janitors and Stand for Security campaigns, national campaigns to organize thousands of workers. United Service Workers West (USWW) represents 45,000 janitors, security officers, airport workers and other service workers across California.
There are over 100,000 non-union Janitors in CA. This is a heavy Spanish-speaking immigrant workforce that faces rampant wage theft, unsafe working conditions and even child labor and sexual harassment and assault. Through aggressive organizing we will clean up this industry!
SEIU USWW has a leadership position as a Janitorial External Field Coordinator available immediately. The Field Coordinator will lead non-union worker organizing throughout the state of CA. The position can be based Oakland, San Jose, or Los Angeles
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in base-building organizing
- Proficiency in leading volunteer organizers and managing staff organizers.
- Proficiency in building teams
- Proficiency in developing staff to conduct house visits, identify leaders, build committees and lead fights.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and diverse environment.
- Ability to be self-motivated and self-directed
- Must have a car and appropriate level of insurance (car allowance provided).
- Proficiency in building and driving comprehensive campaigns that utilize strategic research, policy, and communications.
- Proficiency in remote management of teams
- Prior experience with organizing community and elected leaders to support organizing drives.
- Computer proficiency including prior experience operating databases
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred
This position is a management level position with a competitive salary and full benefits package that includes health, vision, dental and pension plans.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
Sanjay Garla <firstname.lastname@example.org>
SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com