Manager of Business Affairs : North Carolina
North Carolina Association of Educators
Manager of Business Affairs
POSITION TITLE: Manager, Business Affairs, CPA required
DATE POSTED: March 15, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until position is filled
POSITION SUMMARY: The position is the top financial manager, reporting to the NCAE Executive Director. The position provides managerial and technical leadership to Business Office and Membership Processing staff. It plans and manages the monthly general ledger process, manages the fixed assets and accounts payable functions, assists in the internal and external audits, prepares external filings, implements and maintains accounting and related systems while implementing accounting policies and procedures, manages all human resource and benefit administration processes, and manages all political action committee (PAC) accounting processes. This position includes maintaining relationships with external auditors, banking and regulatory agencies to ensure accuracy on monthly statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and organizational policies and procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Member of management team participating in day-to-day decision making.
- Develop goals and objectives consistent with Association’s strategic objectives for short, intermediate, and long-term planning.
- The candidate is expected to research emerging financial, accounting and regulatory issues and make recommendations regarding their impact and implementation on NCAE and/or its locals.
- Effectively interact and communicate with elected leadership.
- Maintain ongoing working relationship with the Executive Director to ensure the Executive Director is kept informed of all issues related to or impacting the Business Office and Membership Processing.
- Provide Business Office and Membership Processing staff with performance goals and clearly articulated performance expectations and regular performance reviews.
- Supervise and manage all administrative and financial activities of the Association to include accounting, budgeting, auditing, and compliance and financial reporting.
- Ensure financial accounting and reporting are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as well as implementing a comprehensive set of internal controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of NCAE’s reported financial results.
- Maintain certification credentials with appropriate professional associations and/or licensing bodies.
- Provide Governance, Executive Director, and Managers monthly financial reports and analysis that include NCAE’s Strategic Budget, Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash flow Analysis, and Membership Status (counts and dues receivable).
- Maintain/Manage the Association’s relationship with the external auditors and provide adequate support for annual audits and periodic reviews.
- Provide local affiliates with adequate training to ensure sound accounting practices are being followed.
- Membership Support
- Manage the updating and maintenance of NCAE’s membership records, including monitoring dues payments to NCAE, NEA and the locals.
- Develop monthly membership reporting model.
- Monitor monthly reconciliation of all dues payment methods.
- Human Resources
- Manage employee benefit programs and payroll processing.
- Manage the administration of retirement and group insurance plans for all Association employees.
- Provide financial information to management for bargaining process (total compensation analysis, etc.).
- Manage implementation of employment/bargaining agreements.
- Assess existing benefit programs and providers.
- Manage all PAC related recordkeeping and reporting.
- Provide program assessment evaluations for various association programs as directed by Executive Director.
- Maintain working relationships with bankers, attorneys, vendors, etc.
- Perform other appropriate duties as necessary and/or assigned by the Executive Director.
- Manage association risks with the appropriate use of errors and omission, professional liability, fidelity bonds, etc.
ABOUT NCAE: NCAE is an all-inclusive Association with all categories of professional school personnel eligible for membership. Our mission is to be the voice of educators in North Carolina that unites, organizes and empowers members to be advocates for education professionals, public education and children.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration and Certified Public Accountant (“CPA”) or Certified Management Accountant (“CMA”) certification. The successful candidate must demonstrate a record of continuing professional development in finance and accounting.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Seven years of financial, business management, accounting and HR experience, preferably in a supervisory role in a union environment or public accounting firm. Experience as a full charge accountant with responsibilities that include general ledger close, accounts payable, account analysis, bank reconciliation, cash flow management, forecasting, budget creation and analysis, human resource and benefit analysis and creation of financial reports and statements. Advance spreadsheet capability and proficiency in PeopleSoft, NVISION report writer and systems implementations. Considerable knowledge of computer operations and capabilities. Demonstrated success in business planning, business process re-engineering and utilizing systems and technologies to increase efficiencies and effectiveness. Excellent communication and presentation skills. Ability to complete a heavy workload within established timeframes and deadlines. Organizational skills in setting priorities and goals. Ability to perform management and supervisory duties with frequent interruptions.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: A competitive salary with generous health care and leave benefits with employer contributions to a defined benefit pension plan.
Application Procedure: Please send a letter of interest, resume and a list of three professional references to: Rachelle E. Johnson, Executive Director, North Carolina Association of Educators, PO Box 27347, Raleigh, NC 27611 or via email to BusAffairs@ncae.org
IMPORTANT: All applications by letter or email must include “Business Affairs Search/MP” in the subject line.
NCAE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
NCAE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) the following is provided:
The position involves creative and analytical thinking; oral and written communication skills; meticulous attention to detail; human relations skills; use of computer keyboard; sitting, standing or walking for long periods; stooping, bending, and reaching; and stamina to work long hours and ability to travel by various conveyances, e.g., automobile, plane.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com