Finance Manager : District of Columbia
SEIU Benefit Funds
Job Title: Finance Manager
Location: Washington, DC
The Finance Manager is responsible for the SEIU Benefit Funds Finance Department. The Finance Department is responsible for all accounting and reporting functions of three US defined benefit pension plans, two Canadian defined benefit pension plans, two US defined contribution plans and one US Health and Welfare Fund.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Responsible for the preparation of annual financial statements and budgets for all of the pension and health and welfare funds administered
- Oversee the annual audits and related filings prepared by the Funds’ independent auditors
- Ensure the timely issuance of internal financial reports and monthly budget comparisons as well as any other financial reports requested by the Deputy Director, Executive Director, or Boards of Trustees
- Responsible for the preparation or review of filings required by the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, District of Columbia Government, Revenue Canada, the Pension Commission of Ontario, and all other applicable governing bodies
- Responsible for the administrative and accounting functions of the investment portfolio of all funds and coordinating with the custodian bank and investment advisor for investment related matters
- Manage banking relationships for all US and Canadian bank accounts ensuring all proper documentation is kept updated and on file
- Responsible for the accounting and reconciliation of all revenue coming into the Funds and disbursements made from the funds ensuring compliance with the DOL, IRS, Pension Commission of Ontario and all other applicable governing bodies
- Responsible for the reconciliation of monthly pension benefit payments and annual issuance of pension benefit statements including 1099R and 1042S Forms in coordination with the Pension Processing Department
- Responsible for all aspects of the payroll function
- Responsible for all financial aspects of plan mergers related to the health and welfare or pension funds
- Responsible for preparing trustee meeting reports as related to the Finance Department
- Act as an IRS liaison on behalf of the Finance Department
- Responsible for the insurance function of the Funds
- Maintains, tracks and monitors database of vendor agreements and relations
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the SEIU Benefit Funds
Direction and Decision Making:
- This position reports to the Executive Director and works independently.
- Education and Experience:
- Certified Public Accountant with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or other related field; and at least seven (7) years of experience in a supervisory position in an accounting environment; experience in audit work paper and financial statement preparation, including footnotes. Benefit Fund experience preferred.
- Or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, tax laws and reporting requirements
- Ability to prepare internal financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing benefit fund account information
- Ability to manage/lead several staff members effectively
- Ability to manage four (4) staff members and serve as the top financial official in the organization
- Ability to effectively manage and respond to internal/external requests and requirements
- Ability to communicate (orally and in writing) in a professional manner. Well developed written and oral communication skills are essential
- Ability to maintain financial security by researching and reconciling discrepancies, auditing and verifying documents, and establishing and implementing internal controls
- Ability to make recommendations based on fund operations and data
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to train and develop staff
- Knowledge of computer based accounting and financial report writing systems
- Strong diplomatic and discretionary skills; handling sensitive situations without deviating from accounting standards.
- Ability to design, develop and implement short and long term goals for the department
- Ability to interpret, analyze and comprehend existing and new accounting/financial requirements
- Ability to adapt quickly to a fluid/constantly changing environment
- Knowledge of ERISA and IRS Code as related to pension and health and welfare benefits
- Must maintain ethical conduct
- Advanced skills in the use of personal computers including Microsoft Office Suite and Great Plains
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours required as necessary
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes employer paid benefits
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/tykczxd3hg27csk5
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com