Researcher : Florida
AFSCME Florida Council 979
May be located in Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville or Tallahassee (preference for Miami), FL
AFSCME Florida Researcher
Affiliate: AFSCME Florida
Location: Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville or Tallahassee, with preference for Miami
Salary: $55,000 to $72,000
AFSCME Florida is looking to hire a researcher to work on organizing, collective bargaining and other research needs. The person in this position is responsible for performing a wide variety of analyses involving collective bargaining issues and for providing assistance during negotiations, impasse resolution proceedings, organizing campaigns and other union activities.
- Analyzes city, county, state and other budgets, occupations and industries and policy issues.
- Assists in targeting for organizing.
- Assists in the planning and development of research for specific organizing campaigns.
- Assists in investigating and analyzing financial condition, labor relations history, regulatory environment, sources of leverage and other aspects of potential organizing targets.
- Analyzes local and state legislative and regulatory initiatives to determine their impact on AFSCME members and make recommendations.
- May give advice during negotiations and impasse procedures.
- Prepares and presents exhibits, summaries and other materials.
- May be asked to prepare and present testimony before city councils, county and state legislatures and the press.
- Conducts workshops and prepares session outlines and materials for presentations.
- Writes occasional articles, manuals and fact sheets.
- Works with members and other workers as part of research and other assignments
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in economics, political science, public policy, public administration, and/or labor relations with at least three years of experience in policy, research, labor, political or community organizing or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of labor relations issues in the public and private sector.
- Knowledge of organizing and contract campaigns.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of socio-economic research, financial analysis and systems design. Knowledge of types and sources of socio-economic data and other research materials.
- Skill in the use of computers including familiarity with Internet research, spreadsheets and database management.
- Ability to perform research that requires finding information that may not be readily available; and to interpret complex data and information.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to present statistical data, facts and conclusions and communicate complicated information effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct sound research and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or Creole desirable.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours when needed to meet campaign demands.
- Some travel required.
- Ability to work well and creatively under tight deadlines, in a team environment and independently.
Salary is $55,000 to $72,000, depending on experience. AFSCME Florida staff receive benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, cell phone allowance, generous time off policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, résumé, and three references with current contact information to: Matthew Mayers, Assistant Director of Organizing and Field Services, AFSCME, at email@example.com. No phone calls or faxes, please.
AFSCME Florida provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, creed, gender, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, the presence of sensory, mental or physical disability, or any other discrimination prohibited by law. In addition to federal law requirements, AFSCME Florida complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com