Director, Member Benefits : California
Director, Member Benefits
Based in San Jose, CA
The California School Employees Association is a union with more than 237,000 members who work in school districts and community colleges in California. We are seeking a Director of Member Benefits for our headquarters in San Jose, CA. The Member Benefits Department develops and delivers quality programs and services to our members throughout California. The position reports to CSEA’s Executive Director. It is open because of retirement.
The Director provides leadership and vision in planning, directing and improving quality- of-life experiences and services for members and staff. This key position plans, markets and delivers events and programs in collaboration with Field Operations, and senior management and Association officers.
The new Director will be asked to evaluate member programs and services and recommend changes to the Executive Director. Recommendations should analyze changing demographics, future member needs and identify the best approaches to provide world class experiences at Association events, enhance services and increase membership.
Job duties and key responsibilities are:
- Plan and deliver 7 to 10 exceptional, annual events that host 200 – 2,000 attendees
- Coordinate on-site management, allocate resources, and stage people, materials and exhibits at Association events
- Obtain competitive pricing for services, manage budgets and expenses
- Evaluate and select service providers or contractors
- Negotiate contracts with hotels, convention centers, caterers, speakers and vendors
- Organize travel, accommodations, registration and catering for attendees
- Coordinate all other travel for members and staff
- Devote resources to organizing and promoting new member enrollments
- Market and promote membership through new member packages, ticket discounts, merchandise, special services and voluntary group insurance sales
- Write, edit, approve communications for events, services, activities, exhibits
- Deliver presentations to large and small audiences
Finance and Employee Relations:
- Manage an annual budget of $3.7 million
- Follow policies for procurement, competitive bidding, reviewing contracts, reporting conflicts of interest, and acting with high ethical standards
- Manage inventory
- Ensure security of confidential data of staff, members and consumers
- Responsible for leading a team of 11 staff
- Hire, coach and develop staff
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
Experience and education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, administration, marketing, communications or related field
- 6 years’ experience in marketing, customer service, event planning, merchandising and promotion, insurance or benefits programs
- 3 years’ experience managing staff
- A combination of education, experience and training in these areas may meet qualifications for this position
Knowledge and skills:
- Exceptional project and time management skills
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Outstanding, tactful, customer service and influence skills
- Excellent judgement and independent decision-making
- Acts with confidence when making decisions #
- Proficient in MS Office suite
- Committed to social justice and building the union movement
- Promotes a values-driven, engaged culture
- Shows leadership
- Highly organized, detail focused, results-driven, accountable
- Displays a high sense of urgency
- Think and act strategically
- Establish long-range objectives with specific strategies and actions to meet them
- Work with a diverse membership
- Think creatively
- Develop or design world class events, services and programs that engage members through technology, entertainment and music
- Stay current with contemporary styles or techniques for delivering quality services that inspire members and staff
- Maximize impact of communications using web, social media, email or advertising
- Network with key hospitality contacts throughout California and other venues
- Build and capitalize on internal and external relationships
- Manage budgets and expenses while producing high rates of satisfaction from members
- Project poise and presence when working with managers and Association officers
- Be a team player as a senior manager
- Promote accountability by managing with a coaching, collaborative and inclusive style
- Resolve conflicts and negotiate with others to manage complaints or settle disputes
- Remain calm with a sense of humor
- Multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Travel overnight and be on-site for night and weekend events
Benefits of working at CSEA:
CSEA’s members work in 784 school districts and community colleges in California. Our members are the backbone of our public schools and community colleges. They keep schools vibrant, clean and safe so students can learn.
CSEA has a proud of history fighting for social and economic justice to make a difference in our member’s lives. Our mission is to improve the lives of our members, students and community. We are dedicated to fighting for income equality, affordable healthcare, quality education, and secure retirements for our members.
We offer a dynamic career opportunity. We have an excellent salary and benefits package including:
- 17 paid holidays
- 4 weeks’ vacation to start and 5 weeks after 7 years
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance coverage
- Work/life balance…. an opportunity to enjoy the work you do, and find fulfillment through working with like-minded, dedicated professionals committed to this significant social mission
If you are creative and passionate about serving your community, your schools and our members, then CSEA is the employer of choice for you.
Please apply on our web site at www.csea.com/employment. Upload your resume with a cover letter that explains your qualifications, interest and career goals.
Questions? Contact HR at HREmail@csea.com. Please do not send resumes or other documents to this email.
This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor and Standards Act.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com