Executive Director : Georgia
The Atlanta North Georgia Labor Council (ANGLC) is hiring an Executive Director. Please see the job description. To apply answer the questions on the application, send it along with resume, including your education (formal and other training i.e. certifications, or applicable union training) and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 PM EST June 30, 2017.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: ATLANTA NORTH GEORGIA LABOR COUNCIL
Under the guidance of the Executive Board the Executive Director will supervise staff, provide program oversight in the areas of politics, legislation, affiliate mobilization, communications and media, and community engagement, and financial management and reporting as required by law and by the rules of the AFL-CIO. The position also includes working collaboratively with the State and National AFL-CIO, community partners and affiliates. The role of the Executive Director is to direct the day-to-day administration of the Atlanta North Georgia Labor Council, AFL-CIO under the regular guidance of the Executive Board.
Applicants must possess:
- Demonstrated experience with the labor movement.
- Demonstrated experience supervising employees.
- Demonstrated program management success.
- Experience with the legislative process, political campaigns and mobilization of unions and/or community allies.
- Experience working in politically sensitive situations with demonstrated diplomacy and ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and work with teams with varying levels of experience.
- Demonstrated excellent writing, speaking, research skills, technology and social media skills.
- Demonstrated excellent people and communication skills with a variety of individuals and in a variety of circumstances.
- Previous experience with a labor council or state federation of labor a plus.
- Duties of the position include:
- In consultation with the President under the direction of the Executive Board, manages the Council’s office and directs personnel in accordance with Collective Bargaining Agreements; can be authorized to employ, discipline, suspend and/or terminate employees, and negotiate all wage and fringe benefit packages subject to the provisions of any Collective Bargaining Agreement, and subject to approval of the Executive Committee.
- Carries out all mandates of the Executive Board and Delegate Body including developing an annual work plan to ensure implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Leads an affiliation drive and oversees other fundraising activities of the Council.
- Drives all programs approved by the Executive Board and Delegate Body and is responsible for accountability to ensure goals are met and to measure, evaluate and report on outcomes.
- Works with the Executive Board in deciding who acts as the Area Labor Council spokesperson in the community, in the media, and at meetings, conferences, and conventions.
- Works with the Area Labor Council’s Office Administrator/Program Coordinator.
- Oversees the ANGLC work in the community around shared goals, strategies and campaigns.
- Serves as the Liaison to the state and national AFL-CIO in consultation with the President to advance labor’s agenda.
- Maintains oversight of sound financial operations and accurate accounting of all receipts and disbursements of all monies, savings, securities, and Atlanta North Georgia Labor Council in accordance with general accepted accounting principles and controls as established by the Secretary-Treasurer of the AFL-CIO per the “Rules Governing Area Labor Councils and Central Labor Councils.”
- Develops annual council and campaign budgets with the Executive Board approval and ensures the organization operates within these budgets.
- Ensures monthly financial reporting to the Executive Board and quarterly Trustee Reports to the Delegate Body.
- Ensures maintenance of records showing standing of all affiliated organizations, rolls of delegates, and other documents pertaining to affiliation.
- Ensures maintenance of all financial records, transactions, membership information, reports
- Ensures conduct of annual audit and provides all financial records and supporting documentation as needed.
- Ensures that all requirements for elections, voting, and replacement of Executive Board vacancies are met per the time frames outlined in the Constitution.
- Ensures custody and security of all records of the ANGLC including proceedings of all meetings and reasonable access to records, minutes, equipment and correspondence as per the “Rules of Governing Area Labor Councils and Central Labor Councils.”
- Ensures that the ANGLC has appropriate bonding for Officers and employees/contract employees.
- Develops and implements the annual strategic planning process.
- Ensures the development and implementation of training programs.
- Provides monthly and adhoc program reports to the Executive Board.
- Ensures Programmatic, financial, personnel and affiliate confidentiality.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: ATLANTA NORTH GEORGIA LABOR COUNCIL
Please describe in detail:
- Your experience with the labor movement including any work with a labor council or state federation. Include work you did with community allies managing shared goals and programs.
- Your experience supervising employees, including if any working under a Collective bargaining agreement. Did you have authority to manage the employee including discipline? If so please tell us about that. Please include any experience you have negotiating contracts that include wages, fringe benefits, etc.
- Any programs that you have managed and the outcomes. Include any campaign work (strategic or electoral). Were you required to make regular reports on the program and its budget? If so, tell us about that.
- Your experience with the legislative process, political campaigns, issue campaigns and mobilization of unions and/or community allies.
- Describe any experience you have with financial management including maintaining current records securely with accurate accounting of all receipts and disbursements of all monies, savings; budgeting (creation of, tracking, reporting status); and ensuring operating within these budgets; creating monthly and quarterly financial reports; and annual audit process.
- Your work with teams – building them, managing them and working across different experience levels.
- A time when you worked in a politically sensitive situation and how you managed it. Focus on your use of diplomacy and how you resolved conflicts while maintaining relationships. Tell us about when you have worked in situations where confidentiality was required and how you maintained that.
- Your work in communicating include public speaking experience; social media including web content, Facebook and other platforms, creating content, researching for accuracy; and experience with media (writing press releases, content, video interviewing etc.).
- Your experience with keeping accurate records, including membership records, minutes of meetings, and other documents which ensure the smooth operation of the organization.
- Your experience developing strategic plans as part of a team; implementing the strategic plan and working to meet the objectives of the plan.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com