Organizer/Union Representative : Indiana, Kentucky
AFSCME Indiana-Kentucky Organizing Committee
Based in Kentucky
Job Title Organizer/Union Representative
Salary: $49,000 – $56,000 + paid benefits
Reporting to Executive Director or designee, the Union Representative position has the overall responsibility of building local union capacity and empowering current membership through internal organizing and planning and managing and executing representational programs with locals. This position also had the responsibility of carrying out the union’s vision for building strength and achieving growth by organizing new members.
This position is involved in assisting locals of any size with a variety of occupations and a wide range of responsibilities. These groups may be spread throughout various facilities in a localized area or state or larger geographical area.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Examples provide a general summary of the type of work that is required.)
Understands and is proficient in all elements of the “AFSCME Organizing Model”
- Actively promotes the union’s vision for building strength and achieving growth to current and potential members and leaders, and guides their activity on behalf of the union.
- Develops and leads worker mobilizations for internal and external organizing and political efforts.
- Assists stewards and other work site leaders in developing strategies for contract negotiations, contract campaigns, internal organizing, anti-privatization fights and other leading programs of the union.
- In partnership with local leadership, handles all aspects of servicing, including arbitrations and grievances; labor management relations; contract negotiations; and all other duties associated with servicing and with chartering new locals.
- Conducts research, gathers information, and devises effective strategies for negotiating collective bargaining agreements, preparing for arbitrations and other servicing and organizing activities.
- Maintains regular communication with leaders and members through local union meetings (i.e. general membership and executive board), job site visits, one-on-one meetings, and house visits to maintain member rapport, monitor worker attitudes and to guide their activity on behalf of the union.
- Develops and implements appropriate training programs for local unions on a variety of topics.
- Identifies and trains stewards and other work site leaders. Identifies, recommends and trains potential volunteer organizers from within the AFSCME membership
- Explores organizing targets to gather data and information, builds a list of workers and assesses interest and plan and conducts meetings with organizing committees and other workers.
- Visits workers in their homes as part of union organizing and/or political activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned; bilingual skills desirable.
To perform the Union Representative position successfully, the incumbent should demonstrate seasoned proficiency and judgment in the following skills:
- One-on-One Communications:
- Recruitment, Development & Coordination of Worker Leaders/Organizing Committees
- Planning & Running Meetings and Actions
- Developing & Communicating Campaign Message to the Workforce
- Training & Developing VMOs and Less Experienced Organizers
- Planning and Implementing Assignments
- Support of the AFSCME Mission and Work Attitude
Include AFSCME Council 962 and International staff, local union officials and members and others as directed by the Executive Director or designee.
Directions and Decision Making
This position reports to the Executive Director or designee. Works independently, but keeps supervisor regularly apprised of developments during servicing activities.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA)
Work is performed in a variety of employment settings including workers’ homes, neighborhoods, and worksites. Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours may be required. Valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent, 3 to 5 years of relevant organizing/servicing experience: or any combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:</span></span>
- Knowledge of labor unions and labor relations and servicing union members at a professional level
- Knowledge of computers and applicable software
- Ability to plan and coordinate work activities and keep detailed records and file reports in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with employees and members
- Ability to work long hours independently to accomplish union’s objectives.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information for negotiations, arbitrations, strategy development and other servicing activities
- Ability to negotiate collective bargaining agreements
- Ability to develop persuasive written and graphic documents
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to effectively plan workers’ actions including strikes
- Bilingual skills desirable.
Submit resumes to LaQuita Alsum at email@example.com. She will submit resumes to the executive director.
Opening Date: 2/16/17
Closing Date: 3/16/17
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com