Membership Department Administrator : Maryland
Membership Department Administrator
Based in Linthicum Heights, MD
Title: Membership Department Administrator
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Location: Membership Department
The International Organization of Masters, Mates and Pilots (MM&P) is a Maritime Labor Union representing officers on U.S. Flag Ships sailing both internationally and inland. The Membership Department is responsible for providing customer service and maintaining and filing all of the records of the members and applicants of the Union.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Membership Department Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes on-site membership applications and issue shipping cards for onsite for merchant mariners interested in joining MM&P. Ensures that all required paperwork and required documents are submitted at the time of application. Receives and processes applications received via mail and email. Distributes health benefit and education documents received with application package to the appropriate departments.
- Responsible for setting up member files and storing them in a 7 foot high mobile file unit. Purge files as necessary and mark them for yearend archive in basement storage. Retrieves archived files from basement when necessary.
- Reviews applicant files to assess whether they meet requirements for acceptance into Membership. Prepares list of candidates for membership for review by the General Executive Board (GEB) at their quarterly meetings. Keeps applicants informed of qualifications needed in preparation for membership and updates database and GEB lists as qualifications are completed on an ongoing basis. Create Union membership books and print membership cards for all new members. Use mail merge to create new member letters for all applicants accepted into membership at the GEB meetings.
- Liaison to Health and Benefit Plan office and the Maritime Institute for verification of membership and good standing. Receives retirement, health and benefit, and deceased status updates from Plan office and updates membership files and database. Must maintain confidentiality regarding membership files and health and benefit information.
- Main point of contact for MM&P union officials and port agent inquiries regarding membership status. Consults with contracted company personnel to confirm hiring dates and other pertinent information regarding new applicant status or change in status for existing members.
Requirements and Skills:
- Knowledge of Merchant Mariner Credentials, I-9 form and TWIC card preferred.
- Ability to interpret by-laws of each membership group and the MM&P constitution.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office a must; ability to modify and create mail merge; ability to create excel spreadsheets and formulas.
- Must be able to walk up and down two flights of stairs and lift 20 – 30 LB boxes of archived files when necessary to remove from shelves to retrieve files in the basement. (will not have to carry boxes up or down the stairs)
- Must have good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor of Science or completion of at least two years of college.
- Minimum of 5 years administrative office experience.
- Pre-employment background screening.
- Physical required upon hiring.
TO APPLY SUBMIT RESUME TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com