Assistant Political Director : New York
Assistant Political Director
West Village, NY
The New York City and Vicinity District Council of Carpenters is seeking to hire an Assistant Political Director to provide support to the Political Action Director. This is an excellent growth opportunity for a motivated, ambitious, pro-active individual seeking to further establish his or her career in politics. This position will provide the selected candidate with exposure to various aspects of managing the political needs of a dynamic non-profit organization.
The selected candidate will:
- Assist the Political Director in implementing political strategy and integrate politics with all the work of the Union;
- Assist the Political Director in managing a successful program to create effective advocacy relationships between the membership and elected officials, community and industry partners, and other stakeholders;
- Help train members for political electoral campaigns, and legislative meetings and other community based activities;
- Assist the Political Director in coordinating political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our policy, legislative and electoral participation campaigns at the city, state and federal level;
- Help mobilize and train new member leaders and activist for legislative and electoral activity;
- Support organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events and targeted employer activity;
- Assist with coordinating the Union’s work with local labor and community allies
- Assist the Political Director in establishing and maintaining relationship with elected officials and key elected staff.
- Create, maintain and update a membership interactive e-activist web presence.
- Prepare all periodic reports for political action committee expenditures to NYS Board of Elections and other authority requirements
- Oversee NYS lobbyist reports.
To be considered for this position, candidates must demonstrate that they have:
- At least three years administrative experience.
- Previous experience in City, State or Federal politics preferred. Relevant background in economic development preferred.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required. Bachelors degree in Political Science or a related field preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills required. Power Point preferred.
- A working knowledge of VAN (Voter Activation Network) software, and the ability to utilize it to improve and manage voter registration preferred.
- An outgoing, assertive, sociable and energetic personality.
- Occasional travel required.
Interested candidates: Please submit your resume and cover letter to Dana Brownstein, Human Resources Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com