Community Development Coordinator : New York
Community Development Coordinator
Based in New York City, NY
Help workers gain better working and living conditions by fighting for standards in new developments. Make a difference.
SEIU 32BJ is looking for a seasoned, activist coordinator who has experience in land use, labor research, community organizing or political work to support the Union’s program of bringing standards to new developments being built in New York City and, over time, other cities on the east coast. As cities continue to reinvent themselves and their building stock, it is all the more important to ensure that all development is done responsibly and with the maximum benefit to our communities and for all residents.
The Community Development Coordinator will drive the Union’s program around development in New York City with a goal of expanding this program throughout the East Coast. The work includes:
- Coordinating the research, political, community organizing, member engagement and other campaign pieces around new development projects;
- Working with elected union officials to move a program around major developers;
- Developing and executing political and community campaign plans around major re-zonings;
- Building relationships with key government agencies who oversee new development;
- Organizing, in coordination with the field and political departments, a program that engages 32BJ members around new development projects;
- Tracking real estate trends and industry players to create a forward looking approach to new development in New York City.
- Strong commitment to progressive social change and activist experience;
- Enthusiastic commitment to strengthening the labor movement;
- Understanding of land use process in New York City;
- Excellent political and internal organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment;
- Project management experience;
- Experience in leading strategic campaigns;
- Ability to lead a large team and balance multiple priorities within a multi-layered structure;
- A minimum of five to seven years of relevant work experience.
We offer a competitive salary as well as opportunities for advancement. An excellent benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their qualified dependents.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com